Mobile networking with Mirror

Hi,

I would like to take the knowledge I got here and create a mobile RTS game and set up a server. What are next steps for this? How to set up a server for this?

Hi there,

This is a good question, but is a little beyond the scope of this course. Hosting a server usually has an additional cost, so it is not an ideal topic for this course. I suggest checking out the Mirror discord server where people have a lot of experience hosting games with Mirror. You might be able to find more answers there.

OK. So sticking to the course content. We have a game that can be played on PC, but how to share it with everyone? Can we send our game to itch.io and use steam in the same time?

If you have a way to distribute the build file, you can have people try it the way described in the course using steam. You can share a zipped version of the build file with google drive or dropbox or something similar. Then just give instructions on how to set it up on steam.
If you want to do it properly with steam, you will need to sign up for a developer app id. This wasn’t covered in the course because I think there is a cost. I’m not aware of any platforms that will host a multiplayer game for free.

The way of sharing it with friends is good for testing, however for “production” it is too hard for players.

Can I do the following:

• create a game with Kpc transport/steam fizzy as we did in course,
  • publish it at itch.io
  • players will host games for themselves, so no server will be required?

You could do this, if the players are going to be playing over their local network. In the course we didn’t set it up for direct IP connection of the internet.

True, the direct IP connection is the missing part here.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms