Mirroring within the object issue

I am having an issue with sculpting affecting two areas of my object. If I remember correctly Grant solved this issue by applying the modifiers which I have already done, not sure what to try next.

1 Like

Don’t you need to merge / join the objects? … remesh?

Sculpting can act in a mirrored fashion. In the sculpt mode top image you have X symmetry on. That is sculpts own version of mirroring.

On the menu bar along the top, to the left of the word ‘dyntopo’ there is a Blue, as ON the X symmetry.
Click that X to turn it off.

2 Likes

The problem with this is that it will only sculpt the one part of the character, and does not mirror to the other side of the body. To begin with on the shoulder portion I wasn’t having this issue, I must be missing something simple!

1 Like

I don’t quite understand what you’re asking, but I noticed you have one object selected in the Outliner and both forearms selected in the Viewport (without having just the one forearm as the Active Object), so maybe what you’re looking to do is separate these into two objects. If you want to make the arms asymmetrical at this stage while keeping the various body parts as separate meshes, you will need to do that anyway.

Have a look at this:

Also, I think FedPete is suggesting to merge all of these pieces together into a single mesh and then do a remesh. Doing that would also work, and then you would use NP5’s suggestion of symmetrized sculpting as needed. The only issue there is that you won’t be able to just drag the pieces around anymore once you do that, so large-scale placement should be confirmed first if you try this approach. Good time for an incremental save too!

3 Likes

I was having this issue with the ears as well after having combined everything on my character (I saved a backup of all her pieces just in case lol). I also closed the program and gave it a rest last night because I was going to throw my computer out the window.

Anyway I just recreated the issue where my ears were not symmetrically sculpting across to the other ear but in fact on the same right side ear. I found that applying all transforms in Object Mode worked for me. Maybe give that a try? (CTRL + A must be in Object Mode)

3 Likes

Interesting, I wonder where the origin points were? As apply all includes location. And it looks like scale and rotation were zeroed out already.

1 Like

Pretty sure origin was at world origin I had to move it to geometry later when I wanted to scale it. This is a recreation of the original issue I also originally had rotations and stuff but just to demonstrate what worked for me. I also didn’t realize this post is 5 days old so they probably figured it out but I got a notification lol

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms