Making hard surface models for games

Looking great.
I don’t play games that much anymore,May i ask which one this is?

1 Like

It’s Empyrion: Galactic Survival

1 Like

I imagined some simple version for a game like a rotating bobbly cylinder shape to give the effect of energy. Fake it in other words. In your destruction states, some movement or the effect of it seemed possible.

1 Like

Ok, legal issues are in progress, but found motivation to do some work on this machine. Still didn’t tackle the deconstruction mechanism (laser/robotic arms/we will see :slight_smile: ), but worked on general form of it a bit and adding some secondary details. Current state:

4 Likes

ok, took a break from this… tried to figure out hard surface sculpting workflow…

Failed multiple times

But still want to figure out this workflow… as already I could whip out in one day multiple concepts that if refined might look quite cool. The most troubles I have with controlling stuff in sculpt mode so it looks ‘machined’ (those hard edges, bevels etc.). Pointers to any courses/tutorials/reading material about hard surface sculpting would be much appreciated.

Got angry and tried making a helmet again (if it will good at the end - it will probably land in game/mod as optional helmet for players):

3 Likes

A helmet really is/was not a shape to want to do by sculpting from my pov. Ordinary box modelling object.
Did you just Boolean the ‘bits’ on, or are they left separate?

3 Likes

Modeling would be my first “goto”… but I’ve seen so many cool designs done with sculpting and I want to learn it. Plus I’ve tried and aside for control and hard edges creation problems sculpting seems to be great for that kind of work (esp if I’m designing something new and not working of single reference).

For now all those bigger parts are separated. I’ll join it before exporting to game engine, for both convenience and to save some draw calls.

3 Likes

Cool looking shiny helmet.Looks amazing and soo alien!! :rofl: Reminds me of the predator.Awesome job.LOVE it.

2 Likes

And now… I switched back to working on deconstructor model… Did a few small redesigns, worked on 2ndary details. That size of machine will take another couple of days to finish.

3 Likes

Finally done modelling part:

This was a lot of work… and I’m just half way there.

There were a lot of booleans used here

And some of them are arrayed and mirrored so there is effectively more…

It will be a pain to move forward now… because of this:

Low poly, UVs, texture painting, setting up in unity, setting up in Empyrion…

1 Like

I would like to compliment the Empyrion cleaners and polishers!
They keep their world equipment bright and shiny! :grin:

Looks great, now to make it LP.
That is a lot of booleans. lol.

1 Like

:joy:

Oh, it will be grimy… esp. that the primary function of the machine is to recycle other machines (and stuff) and break them down to basic components. Even Empyrion cleaners are not that good to make it look clean and shiny :grin:

:sweat_smile: booleans will actually help in making low poly (as they simply can be disabled). What will make the most mess is that it’s 70 objects. I’ll probably start by merging some of them…

2 Likes

The best feeling in the world - seeing how people react when they use your models in game:

https://clips.twitch.tv/OilyResilientAyeayeDerp-A9S_C_YoMo-fpReY

2 Likes

Still not finished :sweat_smile:. Here’s current state of texture painting:

3 Likes

Still not finished :sweat_smile:. I’ve discovered some nasty baking issues that I couldn’t figure out how to fix. Finally… I’ve switched to Marmoset Toolbag for baking and I’m really impressed with how good it is at it. Not only it’s blazing fast (all the maps are baked in under 20s for this model), but the quality of baking is super good. And there is a lot more control over the process there. So I fixed those issues and resumed working on some additional details:

3 Likes

Getting there… maybe 2 more days till texture painting is done:

Edit: updated video with version that was render with more samples and in 60fps

3 Likes

Wow! This work so inspires me. Thank you for showing what is possible with hard surface modelling. I have so much to learn. :astonished:

3 Likes

To mix things up I was asked to make some buttons/keypads:

More renders and a bit of description on my artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LeXdGR

2 Likes

Finally done!

Still need to hook it up in unity, but the ‘creative part’ is finished :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms