Low Poly Weapons

Kind of reminds me of a lot of war hammers I’ve seen when I’ve been looking for reference pictures.
S5730-320

In my mind I picture them looking like a modern claw hammer head, but they usually have these spikey heads instead. I wonder if this is for the same reason as you’ve described on the poleaxe hammer.

My poleaxe was based on this reference:

… which was my favorite of the ones I found. I really like the variety in the different weapons. I guess it makes sense; everything would have been made by hand, and probably every warrior would have their own preferences as to the particulars of each weapon. After I make a good mix of weapons, I may go back and make variations of each one.

I like that bottom spike on yours though. Added:

4 Likes

Bill (or Billhook)

An interesting weapon I’d never heard of before. If you had asked me, I would’ve called it a “funky spear” :laughing: . Here’s a video if you want to learn more about it.

5 Likes

Woah this is one I’ve never seen before either (nor heard of). Looks pretty cool. How did you come across it?
Edit: forget my question, I just realised that NP5 suggested it above in this thread. Silly me :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Yes war hammers same face spiky effect. It was the clearly not up to puncturing that had me curious, to puncture you would want a single point. Risk of puncturing, the weapon gets stuck in enemy armour, disarming you.

Good update to your Poleaxe!

Odd people have not heard of it. Billmen seems an ordinary thing to me. As that informative video points out there is a common countryside tool a billhook, that the weapon probably evolved from. He misses out that it was a key hedging tool, for proper laying of hedges. I have vague memories of one about in my childhood. Probably at a grandparents’. It even had the end point to it. Which now following up the theme on line, I find is an Norfolk, east of England style, which fits perfectly with where that grandparent lived!

NorfolkPatternBillHook

2 Likes

I think it’s a difference of education. You’re from England, right? Most Brits I’ve met have had a more thorough study of history than me (American), particularly of the medieval period, so it could just be because of that. :man_shrugging:

Super cool stuff you guys are posting here! I’m looking forward to picking up the Blender class again

1 Like

Yes England here. Though sadly I suspect younger people from here have very little history knowledge unless it becomes an personal interest. School stuff is appallingly bad. Medieval era virtually ignored along with all things military. My nephew who is deeply into things historical once corrected his school teacher five times in one lesson on facts he got wrong. Might not have been too embarrassing were the teacher not being professionally assessed in that lesson. lol Teacher left at the end of the term.

2 Likes

Long bow

oops :laughing:

6 Likes

Hunting bow and arrows.

:grin: OK hard to get low poly things that detailed.

The bowstring horn nocks should be on the ends and could be just a colour change. The real profile not possible so ‘square’ section has to do.

Do shields stop arrows. Can armour stop arrows.
Just watched several interesting videos testing of longbow with recreated items.

2 Likes

Wow this is enlightening, and scary. Now I have to go back and edit my stories because I was clearly wrong, and I don’t wanna give my characters plot armour, I’d sooner brutalise them with reality :innocent:

2 Likes

Ouch! Right in the pork! I’m again struck by the number of variables–type of arrowhead, type of wood for the shield, thickness of the shield, length/strength of the bow, etc.–any of which could have been the difference between life and death. Seeing it in action like this also makes it feel less romantic and more of a gruesome reality. Gnarly!

Got any picture examples of the type of hunting bow you mean?

1 Like

Yes different uses, local adaptaions, changing defenses to get round.

Not particular reference, it was just a general impression of being a bit ‘light’ paired with broad head barbed arrows, again looking light beside those war arrows they used going through a wooden shield. Game scales probably irrelevant.

Did you watch the one against armour? Powerful bow and archer. The results do ask questions as to why archers were so effective. I assume very few had such good armour.

1 Like

The Finished Collection

I’m going to call it quits here. Could add more, but I think I got the essentials. I also thought about adding alternate blades/handles for them, and maybe I will some day, but I think with my limited time I’m going to move on to other projects.

Thanks to @Alexandra_Ispas for letting me use the assassin dagger design, and to @NP5 for the weapon suggestions. This was a fun project, and it served its purpose of getting me modeling again! If anyone wants some weapons to use in a game or animation or something, let me know!

(edit: forgot the arrows)

9 Likes

This is such an impressive collection! I didn’t realise there were so many weapons in total. Seeing them one by one was a whole other experience. Although I was stunned with each new addition, looking over them all together is so much more amazing. Great job! I can’t wait to find out what other projects you have in mind.

2 Likes

Great collection. Might need a crossbow now. lol.

Now on to the early hand firearms! Matchlocks, wheel locks, flintlocks. Hand cannon, Arquebus, Blunderbuss, Musket.

2 Likes

superb work and a nice collection.
well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great work there! I, as well, have been absent for several months now. Time to get back into it.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms