Low Poly Weapons

Oh I love the dagger! Would be perfect for my one assassin character.
Since you’re working on daggers now, do you think you could create this one as well? It’s a drawing I made for how I imagine this assassin character’s dagger to look like. The rounded pommel is adorned with a gemstone, same as the middle part of the guard. I’d be curious to see how it looks in 3D form, if you’d be willing to take on this project :slight_smile:

And to answer your question, I’ve been writing for many years now, so I did manage to get some older works published with a small publishing house in the UK. They’re nothing too spectacular, don’t worry. Right now I’m working on some much larger projects set in a fictional world (and ofc magic is a thing), with a medieval setting. Pretty tolkienesque I guess, but it’s what I like to read, so I’m inclined to bring it in my writing as well.
But this threat isn’t about me! It’s about you and your amazing weaponry. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you’ll create!

2 Likes

I’d love to see those projects done too! Maybe a separate thread dedicated to medieval armour would work?

3 Likes

Yes I want to do those too! I’ve been wanting to do chain ever since my Viking PPE, but I’m still not sure how. Making individual chain links seems too complicated. I think a good image texture with alpha is probably the way to go, but that may be hard to find. But anyway it might not fit the minimal-polygon aesthetic. I will definitely try some plate armor though.

@Alexandra_Ispas cool dagger! I’ll give it a shot. And the books sound cool too. It’s an achievement to get something published, isn’t it?

1 Like

Ohhhh, that would be very cool. Thanks in advance for your generosity. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here’s the first draft. I didn’t know what you had in mind for colors so I guessed. It’s my first time doing a commission style work for someone, so I’m definitely interested in your feedback.

4 Likes

Woah this looks absolutely stunning! I hadn’t given much thought to colours really, but I definitely like what you chose. The only thing that is a little different from the drawing is the jewel on the pommel, I envisioned it as a large jewel (and that little circle was supposed to represent the shine), but this version looks really cool too! I love it.

1 Like

Oooooh! That makes sense. I will fix that. And glad you like it!

1 Like

Like this?

4 Likes

Perfect! :heart_eyes:

Cool! That was fun. I’m going to keep making more weapons. If you, or anyone else, have any more special requests, let me know and I can have a go at it. Probably just weapons for now (so I’ll get to that chainmail later, @NP5 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

@Tyger2

I played a while ago. Wrong scale, too big rings, and all sorts but was just an experiment. Just now added the physics and let a section drop over a squat blob.

Realised back when I first made a section that it would need ‘tailoring’ to fit properly rather than a sheet draped over.

7 Likes

totally missed this thread. Really nice work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love your work

1 Like

@OboShape @StuC thanks!

@NP5 That’s a pretty good proof of concept piece. On a flat plane, it would be relatively easy to place the rings with arrays/duplication, I would think. But the ‘tailoring’ would be tough over a more complex shape, like a shirt. Maybe you could do it in flat pieces and kind of stitch them together on the edges.

Flail

Apparently, these may never have actually been used as a weapon (I feel like @NP5 would know), but I will side with coolness over historical accuracy. And these things are too damn cool.

For the chain, I just made the first two links, then used an array set to “fit to curve” along with a curve modifier, as was used to make the door arch in the game asset section.

5 Likes

Yes it was easy to set up a square section using arrays.

I suspect making tubes with circular arrays would be fairly simple. That could make most of the sleeves, even most of the body of a ‘shirt’. Ovalising to fit afterwards. The fiddly bit then being joining the shoulder/sleeves junction.

Also stresses the computer, it is a lot of rings to ‘animate’ into a fitting position. My patch was slowwww. Though if attempting a full hauberk it would have to be made to be a close starting fit I suspect.

Flail, interesting article, it does seem somewhat dodgy to use unless perhaps hunting down peasants while on horseback. In the end, anything that can serve probably has been used as a weapon by individuals. It would be pretty useless for a line of men all to be swinging at the same time. Case of ‘strings’ playing heavy metal conkers. :rofl:

Do a Poleaxe, a Bill. Then a longbow.

4 Likes

Pole + Axe = Poleaxe

5 Likes

pls help

Please place request in different forum channel. This thread is Blender related!

1 Like

Good One type of Poleaxe. Just lacks the end metal tip/spike.

I had been looking around at them when I suggested it. It would seem more common to have a small hammer rather than a spike on the ‘back’. The interesting thing is the hammers were grids of short spikes on the face. Was odd at first to see why. Then eventually came across the explanation. It was in order to reduce the blow glancing off, dissipating the force. The blades frequently flat not curved. My surmise is they have no chance of cutting through armour but aim to crease dent it in a hampering or disabling way.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms