Low Poly Characters - Personal Project: A Girl Gang

Hi.
I loved this course :heart: Thanks Grant and all other students for your explanations and kindness. Now, I want to share with you my own personal project inspired by these lessons: a gang of teenage girls :slight_smile:

Here are the setups, with reference images and simple models inherited from the previous lessons, ready to be modified!

20220512-simple-teenagers-min
Let’s blend!

8 Likes

The first on the list is Anna.
I proceed in a methodical and circular way, one character after another, in order to maintain a certain graphic coherence in the group :alembic:

First, the basic shape with the approximative body measurements. Then, I added Loop Cuts to round the shapes as learned. Then, I found some face structure that I like: a cubic nose, a cubic mouth and cubic eyes. Again, different variations for each character.

Next, I add the hair and refine the face. As seen in the image below, Anna has « antennae », because I am still working with the mirror modifier. While waiting to break the symmetry and add the small missing details, I will have the shoes to sculpt.

But for now, it is Bea’s turn :blush:!

1 Like

Here is Bea…

… And Carlotta.

Not so easy to extrude some parts which need to be join, as the backpack and it’s straps, or the necklace and the pendant. I used Delete Faces and Fill a lot of times. I’m sure there is a more efficient way but, for now, it works :grin:

5 Likes

Here is Dora…

… and Ella.

Again, lots of Extrude, Delete Faces and Fill to create the coats.

3 Likes

And the last one, Flora.
I can say that I’m proud of the dreadlocks, which were difficult to extrude without messy topology. The Face Orientation Overlay was really helpful for this part :pray:t5:

Next step: shoes!

3 Likes

Ok, sculpting the shoes was really funny. I think it’s a good exercise to try to create some variety from a basic shape. Personaly, I prefer Carlotta’s shoes ^^

20220513-shoes

4 Likes

Very nice work and shows off very well how much variety can be created still even in low poly characters. By increasing the poly count a little from Grant’s versions.

1 Like

The six meshes are ready for movement. Here is a selection of animations from Mixamo, adapted to the behaviour of each character:

• Anna is listening music with her headphones, so I chose two quite dynamic poses.

• Bea walks in a more or less elegant way. The nuances are subtle.

• I want to give a smartphone to Carlotta, so I chose the most suitable pose for this.

• Dora’s story is less funny: she is injured in her right hand, and her animation should reflect her pain.

• Ella is a bit depressed, so she walks with a sad face and her head down. Or she flies, because why not :p?

• Flora should have a skateboard, so I chose appropriate animations. And if she finally doesn’t have the board, maybe she will turn into an angry girl. Or a zombie >_<’

Next step: materials :paintbrush: !

Thanks! Exactly: I try to stay as low poly as possible, and experiment with flat design expressions and hair blocks ^^
I hope the color and lighting will make the all thing look nice :crossed_fingers:t5:

4 Likes

A really nice object to create. I started badly without using the mirror modifier but I realized my mistake soon enough to start again with good practice. And because a skateboard is totally symmetrical, I also used the Y-Axis.

I don’t know how to animate the board yet so it will just stay under the character for now. Illusion is key!

2 Likes

Great little addition, give another character roller skates!

1 Like

Hehe. Yes, it should be done!

For now, I created six color palettes and I finished the UV editing, using two material slots with different settings:

• the first one for skins and hairs (organic stuff)
  • the second one for clothes and accessories

It’s a kind of mix of the two techniques shown in the course :blush:

The effects of lighting on it is not really effective but with some little tweaks, maybe it could be better…

2 Likes

And the final staging, with moving lights, background and so on.

The final render without animation:

I won’t go further here because I’m lacking of knowledge, but it was a fun and really useful way to improve my skills :star_struck: Now it’s time to jump into another course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

PS: If you want to see how it works behind the scenes, here it is:

5 Likes

Very effective and nicely done.

1 Like

Hi. I decided to continue this project during the GameDev TV Game Jam 2022. Here is the result of around 110h of work for about nine days :relaxed:

What I can say is that using Mixamo animations in Blender and exporting them into Unity is not that easy (I left that behind to focus on environment modeling and creating the gameplay).
And also colors and ligthing are quite different in the two programs :grimacing:
Anyway, a lot to do better in the not so distant future :grin:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms