Lesson 6 - material colours - Cannot add new material to object (Blender 3.4)

at 3:00+ instruction select an object and add material, then give it a colour. Selected cylinder, but could not Click “New” to add material. After fiddling, eventually got a material properties panel, but this was for the cube, not the cylinder (which btw was still selected), Restarted blender a couple of times to see if that made a difference - nope.

1 Like

Baffling.
You are in the shader tab?
The lower pane is the node view?
There is its menu bar along the top of that pane?
The cylinder does not already have a material showing to the right of the ‘slot’ dropdown?

Ah ok Using this route as Grant does. (Most use the material object data panel I think.)
If there is a material there already, and you want to add another, a ‘new’ one. Then you have to add a New ‘slot’ to see the ‘New’ button appear.
Click the dropdown arrow of the Slot to get it’s pop up box.
On that pop up click the + top right corner of it.
It creates a new and as yet unnamed ‘Slot’.
You then get the ‘New’ big button seen in the lecture.
pressing that, auto names the material, from New to ‘material.001’.
While adding in the node area the Principled BDSF and Material Output nodes.

This is the only way I can find of the ‘New’ button not just being there. It works the same in the Object Data properties material panel, but the pop up slot part is there all the time, and therefore somewhat easier to understand, or work out imo.

1 Like

Do you mean the rendered example of a material?
You can select different objects for the preview.

Grant does it all in the Node editor (shader editor) area.

No NEW button. Need to add new slot to get it. But slots are not displayed like in the better panel you show. Still need to know to click the+ to make the new slot though.

No materials, the NEW button shows in both areas.

In the video at about 1:50, Grant selects the cylinder and at 2:00 clicks on the New button.

On the click the Slot combo text changes to “Slot 1” and the Materials properties window appears.

This does not happen for me. And nothing after that allows me to get to the material properties for the cylinder. I’ve repeated this process a few times loading the file from the previous lesson and arranging the objects. Not working for me.

I’ve tried to make sure that the various settings I have match those of the videos and all looks the same, but something is off.

Is there some work around using another way to set the materials? Hitting an issue like this really kills the momentum you generate working through the course. I’d planned to be much further along but am stuck on this. If you need any info from me lmk.

1 Like

Do you have a small screen, whereby the button-bar is too small to show all buttons.
You can drag this bar horizontally

… small screen? Thanks, but no. Have 2 x 4K displays set to 2560 x 1440. No problem to see the full window as per the course videos.

1 Like

General Q&A note

Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left-hand side.
On that menu dropdown is ‘save screenshot’.

made a screencast but you don’t accept them so here’s after clicking on the New button

I’ve probably missed something so will be grateful if you can set me right.

This is baffling, it just works for everyone else. Click the new button in your latest image and it creates the new material, opens up the nodes etc.

It happens on none of the other objects?

Does it happen on a new cylinder?

They are only basic shapes just start a fresh file and remake them, it may just be this one file is bugged.

Created a new file and could immediately see the material properties for the default cube in the shader editor. Then created a new cylinder and that all worked correctly as it should.

Will repeat the tutorial from scratch in a new file and I expect that it will work correctly. If not, I’ll report back.

Guess the file is corrupted somehow so question is - is there anyway to detect bad files?

Thanks.

1 Like

No real way to detect such glitches. They are rare, and sometimes are the result of an accidental key press combination that tries to do something and then can’t as it was not suitable. Could be anything that is waiting on a response or second instruction and as we do not know what instruction we and no one knows what it wants.

On bigger projects iterative frequent saving is important, even if only to have work saved in stages you can go back to, or some power cut or other worldly or computer wide happening.

1 Like

The strange thing is that the cylinder object hasn’t any default material node attached to it.
Normally an object has a default material to it.

The option “Use nodes” is also missing!

Did or do you have graphic card problems?
Try to not to use GPU card, just CPU. Restart Blender.
Did you install or activate a lot of add-ons?

1 Like

Seems that the file I was working with was corrupted. I repeated the lesson using a new file and everything started to work correctly. A valuable lesson imo to know that things can go wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms