Issue with link-duplicating the Bishop (2.93)

Since I haven’t applied the modifier, I found out that when I linked-duplicated the bishop-and-notch a bishop without the notch appeared, and going into edit mode showed that they’re not linked! I wanted to know if I was doing something incorrectly.

Also saw Problem link-duplicating bishop - Blender Courses / Ask - GameDev.tv and was wondering if there’s any other way to do this.

1 Like

Why don’t you just finish the bishop before duplicating it?
Apply the boolean, join the top, etc.

1 Like

Oh these versions don’t have joined tops, I have made these separately.

I did apply the boolean of course, but I was wondering if there’s another way.

1 Like

In a more advanced setup, the Bishop is located in its own .blend file.
So you have a .blend chess game file and a Bishop file.
From the chess game project you can link (File > Link), to the file and collection which contains the bishop AND boolean notch object.

Then you have one object to maintain and many copies to show.
But there is a catch, you can not edit the bishop inside the chess game file.
You need to open the bishop file to edit.
There are some Add-Ons that will automatically switch between files in these linked solutions.
But as I said, it’s more advanced project management.

2 Likes

Oh, I have appended the bishop from a .blend file into the scene.

Linking seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I’ll tinker with it before it’s introduced in the course, but will probably incorporate it along with the lectures.

It’s exactly how I would use prefabs in Unity or blueprints in Unreal Engine: I’m familiar with that workflow.

1 Like

Marking this as solution to resolve this thread for now.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this linked object, will be handled in detail.
I did these courses many years ago, and they changed hugely.
But, if in doubt, do ask again!

Have fun!

2 Likes

I mean if linked objects are a useful feature I’ll probably learn it soon, however it comes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms