Issue with IntelliSense - Transform command not popping up?

Hello! I am having a few issues with Intellisense on Windows. I have followed all of the instructions, including the Intellisense instructions from the introduction module and the intellisense blog posts underneath the video. I’ve downloaded all required .Net and the Developer Pack, I’ve ensured that the Omnisharp settings are corrected, and I’ve checked to see that VS Code is the external tool used for Unity/installed in the unity package manager.

I cannot get the transform command and rotate command to pop up. My screen looks like this:

The only setting I could not find was the Omnisharp: Use Global Mono while I was searching through settings. In the Omnisharp Log, There was a notification that it “could not locate MSBuild instance to register with Omnisharp.”

How do I fix this?

1 Like

Hi,

Please follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

Make sure the correct .NET Framework is installed. Some students install 4.8 but that does not work.

Did this help?

If not, install and use Visual Studio (Community Edition). For some students, VS Code simply does not work well. Maybe due to a problem with Unity, some update or whatever.

1. Download VS and follow this instruction.
  2. Select VS as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools).
  3. Install the “Visual Studio Editor” package in the Package Manager.

That should work.

See also:

Hi Nina,

I didn’t ask the original question, but I did find the only solution to work was using Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition. I tried everything else, including the instructions in the 2D course. None of it got IntelliSense to work.

Thanks!

1 Like

Some other students I’ve talked with are having the same issues with Visual Studio Code, at first we thought it was a Mac issue but apparently it’s happening on PC as well, that’s good to know, it narrows down the possibilities, if I work out a solution I’ll be sure to post it here.

Hi @Darsay28,

If VS Code does not work for you, don’t waste your time with it. Feel free to use VS. As for me, I use VS for my own games too. :slight_smile:

I had the same problem. The C# extension for VS Code has a message that “If you still need Unity or .NET Framework support, you can set omnisharp.useModernNet to false in your VS Code settings and restart OmniSharp.”. So I had to deactivate it in the settings of the extension:

It works after unchecking this option.

Update:
I also had another problem causing this that I forgot about, but I ran into it again. IntelliSense doesn’t work if the External Script Editor is not set to VS Code. For some reason it reverted back to Open by file extension in which case it just opens the script as a standalone file.

Still doesn’t work for me… I’ve tried everything. So far, the only thing that works is VS Community. I just wish it wasn’t so bloated!

Update:
I figured it out. You must download the .NET Framework 4.7.2 Developer pack. Restart VS Code, and viola, it works. I should also mention that Omnisharp ModernNet is still checked, for me.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 133448

So, to recap:

1. Download VS Code
  2. Install Unity Snippets and C# (if not already installed
  3. Download .NET Framework 4.7.2 Developer Pack
  4. Change external editor in Unity to VS Code (Might need to restart if you don’t see it)
  5. In the Start() function, type “transform” and see if intellisence is working. It should be!
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms