Is deleting the folders the only way to let packaging work again?

Hey,

I was wondering if deleting these folders is the only way to solve this issue. Especially for big projects I would assume, regenerating those folders will take quite a while, or not?

You can try closing the Unreal Editor and then build from your code editor (Visual Studio for example) and this may work.

The cleanest way is to remove the folders.

Yea I tried to compile it while the editor was closed and it did not work, so I went the same path and removed the folders. Just wondering why they have to be removed in the first place.

I’m concerned that this can be a huge pain in the arse on a devops point of view. Surely you can’t build a build machine which constantly deletes folders and artifically increases the build times each time this happens.

From a devops point of view, the building machine should never base builds on existing artifacts left behind so this is a moot point. It should usually grab code fresh and build. I’ve seen way too many issues with left behind artifacts causing bad builds. It wastes everyone’s time.

The issue is the live coding coupled with UEs way of working. Basically your code is compiled into a library and then dynamically loaded into the editor dynamically and sometimes, particularly header changes but other things too, it goes wrong.

Usually building with the code editor works when the Unreal Editor is closed and last resort is deleting binaries and intermediate folders. I know the instructor says Saved folder too but don’t unless you really have to as it contains all the files needed for the solution to open correctly plus project settings.

When working heavily in C++, don’t open the editor until you have to update blueprints, create new classes and so on. Instead build in vs or whatever code editor you use and then run from command line which works really well.

I hope this all makes sense.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms