Is Decimate ok for retopology

Obiously the decimate tool is no were near perfect for retopology and is not recommended professionally. However I feel like the method of auto retopo that Grant is using is just as bad. The edge flow is just as messy. I used the decimate instead for my orc because when I did Grants method vertices were stuck in between each other and was a complete nightmare. So do you think the decimate will work as good as the voxel remesh that Grant is using?

The Decimated Orc

1 Like

Im affraid this might cause issues.
Decimate creates quite random geometry and moreso - it triangulates the mesh. So with this approach you have not only lost symmetry, but also there is no way to select ane face flows. It will be a problem for any future modifiers if needed (like subdivision), it will cause issues with animation, as it will be very hard to control how the mesh is deformed by bones. Not only deformation will be random, but it will be different for left and right arm for example, as they have different meshes.
UV unwrapping this mesh will be a pain too.

Retopology is one of the things I tink I dislike the most, but probably because I dont know much about it. For sure good knowledge of basic topology helps (there is a lot more about it in Anime char course) but I think its still pain. There are some addons, and probably some od them do better job than others, but the better ones are not free :wink: Which is underdtsndable given how much time they can save you.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know before I go to far ahead, however trying the voxel remesh that grant is using just wont work so should i do manual topology and do you know any good addons or tutorials that you know?

1 Like

Just do it manually, over the top of a sculpted mesh it is really easy. Not so long ago the normal way to make a character was starting with building the topology without a sculpted version. Last few years sculpting has become the fashion, so then it all needs re-topologising.

But it just depends on how fussy you are or need to be for particular ends. Many put speed before better topology that may never be appreciated by a viewer.

As you are asking you probably care. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If in a hurry, probably Grant’s method.

2 Likes

Thanks any tips on how you got started with clean manual topology, Im kinda scared and dont know where to start but I know it will be better in the long run

You can check this video out:

Topology is quite complex subject I guess. You can start here :wink:
There is a little more information in Anime character course, also dragon sculpting course has some more information afaik (But I didnt take this one). With Anime Character course you will have more knowledge about topology itself, so it will help you to ask better questions and help in your research. And you will just need to research on your own on this subject, because of its complexity. Grant also has some more videos about topology on his YT channel, so you can go there for starters for sure.

3 Likes

I recommend Medial’s approach.

I had used the “Instant Remesher.” It’s a free program, here is a link to a video that explains where to find, install, and use:

It won’t make it up to a professional standard model, but for the sake of continuing with the lesson it will save time and be better than a voxel remesh or a decimation. In the long run I would recommend understanding the full workflow of manual retopology, however I would save that for when you are ready to take on more advanced classes.

I say this because I have spent so many hours trying to do manual retopo before fully understanding it. I have manually retopoed (if that’s word) an entire character to later find out that the flow wasn’t great or later finding out that there was a part that could have been separated from the mesh (which could have made the job easier). It was discouraging for me at times.

2 Likes

Excellent recommendation. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll definitely check out the video!!

1 Like

Found this which seems reasonable.

3 Likes

I tried Instant Mesh but it gets rid of symmetry

Show me an image of it in instant mesh. What steps did you take before seeing the result?

1 Like

I had to decimate the mesh to about 400k tris so it could actually run inside of instant mesh. I just press the solve buttons and extracted it.

1 Like

I currently have it open on my computer as well. I remember having symmetry when I used this. It’s been a while, I am going to play with the settings a let you know what I find. :+1:

When grant used it, it seemed to have symmetry by default. There must be a setting somewhere.

1 Like

Ok I think its partly because since I had to decimate it it lost some symmetry. Did you decimate last time you imported it. If not how did you put it in without out it crashing? If you rememeber

I don’t think a decimated the last time. I am going to get my old files on my old computer and check them out. I make about thirty saves per project just in case I mess something up. I apologize for not having this information readily available.

1 Like

You dont need to apoligize your one of the best helpers on the website! How many tris was you hp mesh because mine is 2.5 million and it doesnt really run inside of instat mesh.

1 Like

Upon viewing the low-poly mesh I can tell I used the voxel remesher for the orc. The tri-count was about in that neighborhood of 2 million like yours.

I now remembered why I tried to use the instant remesher. I tried to instant remesh this:

I don’t think the results were favorable as I went and tried to manually retopo it myself. What happened was there was no symmetry so I had imported it back to blender, went to edit mode, and used the symmetry tool to make it even. As I write this, I also remember that I spent hours trying to remove the doubles along the crease where the center of the creature was.

Instant remesher was best for static objects that were not meant for animation. It still is useful in those cases as it can make a full quad mesh.

If you wish, I can walk you through the steps of the voxel remesher so you can get to the baking process. I do remember what I did for that as I baked the maps about thirty times trying to perfect the normal map anomalies.

1 Like

Ok Yeah a guide would be nice I am trying manual retopo right now for practice but just incase a guide is nice. If you know any solutions to a problem I had with voxel remesher let me know. The problem is that when I go to snap some neck vertices back in place it gets messy and they are vertices overlapping and random junk. If you need a picture for demonstration let me know but yeah I would love a guide sounds nice :+1:. Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, show me an image of the issues you had from the voxel remesher.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms