iOS or Android?

Windows and Steam

Android and Samsung Gear VR and Oculus rift and (hopefully HTC Vive soon).

I am using Windows 8 and planning of using Android. I will be using Samsung Gear VR and HTC Vive.

Windows 8 and iPhoneā€¦ hmmmā€¦

Android with google cardboard for me

Android and google cardboard

Google Cardboard, iPhone, iPad, and Macbook. Looks like I have no other choices. :wink:

I am currently on Windows 10 and have a S7 androidā€¦ for me the choice is obvious. I have howerver purchased 3 different headsets in anticipation of actual use. Cardboard, because the instructors had mentioned it; Gear VR, for obvious reason mentioned previously; and a knockoff to cater somewhat to the massess.

Google cardboard with android, pleaseā€¦

I will be Developing for Android as it seems now due to the current economic climate the Android will one day soon be the biggest mobile OS in the world. I assume that skills are transferable as I would also like to develop games for the PC both VR and otherwise.

Android, Google Cardboard!

I have an iphone so I guess ioS. . but would prefer Android. Might change phones

I chose Android, as i have a Samsung s7

Android may control 80% of the market, but the iOS Appstore brings in twice as much revenue.

Do you live in the US? You can get a android phone at walmart for like $30-$50 depending on how new you want it. Look for Straight Talk phones. They arenā€™t the newest, or the top of the line, but theyā€™d make a good development platform.

I used to be the same way MAViiiN. I was all about android. My first smart phone was an android phone. The freedom it offered compared to a Razr was astounding.
Then I switched to iPhone.
I still agree with you on the interface part. It would be nice to be able to customize the interface more, and that was my first real hangup about it, but after having an iPhone as long as I have, it doesnā€™t really bother me anymore.

Ringtones, you can get from the iTunes store. Just like you can from the android app store. Nice and simple. Unless you donā€™t want to pay for them, then yeah, you have to use iTunes on your computer. Those other steps you mentioned, if you have an iPhone, you already have an iCloud account, and more than likely already have iTunes installed.

The main advantages of iOS in my opinion are:
The learning curve is very simple. My mother can pick up my phone, and make a call with it or send a text with it without any trouble. She still asks me for help with her android almost daily.

iOS meshes. I have an iPhone, and iPad, and a Macbook Pro. They all talk to each other. Without any extra work on my part except for signing into the same iCloud account. If my phone is charging, I can answer and make calls and text messages from my ipad or my laptop.
If Iā€™m somewhere without wifi, and want to use my laptop or ipad, they will connect right through my phone just like it were a wifi point. Yes, I know android can do this too, but I could never get it to work when I had one.

There isnā€™t nearly as much bloat on the appstore.

Also, I never have any issues running apps Iā€™ve downloaded. The app store will only show me apps that the developer has made to work with my particular version of iOS. I had so many issues with android, I would have the right version of the OS, but since I didnā€™t have a top of the line phone, apps would crash on me. That doesnā€™t happen on iOS.

Iā€™ve never gotten a virus on my iPhone or my iPad, and have had no need to install AV software on either.
When I ran android, I got more than a couple viruses. Had to reset things to factory a couple of times.

Now, itā€™s been a couple of years since Iā€™ve had an android, so maybe things have changed.

Yeah, there is a lot you canā€™t do with iOS, unless you jailbreak it. You canā€™t install apps you pirated. You canā€™t install a dozen widgets that take up battery life. You cant install third party or ripped ringtones without using a computer (gasp!). And you canā€™t change the battery (my biggest remaining complaint). But you can expect it to work. You can expect it not to blow up on you. And you donā€™t really have to worry about viruses.

I do! And thank you for the suggestion! I was just actually thinking about this earlier today.

Iā€™ll be developing for Android on a Mac eco system.

I will be developing for android, and while Iā€™m on a Mac I wonā€™t be doing anything with the Oculus - unfortunately. I am hoping to get good enough to develop for PlayStation at some point in the future, but gotta learn the basics first and get totally comfortable in Unity. :v::slight_smile: Interesting to see so many working on Mac.

Hi guys I am going to Develop for the Hololens so the Platform will be Windows. I am taking this as an introduction course for my internship.

Privacy & Terms