Introduce Yourself Here

Hello everyone, My name is Brian I’m 46 and I live in the U.S. South Florida area. There’s a growing game development industry in this area and I’m hoping to learn enough to get into it myself full time. I’m currently working my way through through the Unity course from Ben and I am in the Glitch Garden section now. Absolutely incredible so far the amount that I am learning. Admittedly I’ve been touch and go with learning game development for many years but lately things have started clicking better than ever before. And these courses I honestly believe are one of the contributing factors to my improved progress.

Can’t wait to get started on the RPG course and see where it takes me and everyone else along the journey.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m David, I’m a 29 years old IT student from Belgium. I always wanted to be a computer scientist but had a complicated youth :wink:
Now I almost got a Bachelor degree in something that you would call “Management IT” in english? I have programming courses (mostly java), SQL, analyse, bit of networking etc but also “E-business”, management and accounting.

I’m not a dedicated gamer, I’m interested in game mechanics and design but I never finish a game because I’m bored. I’m interested in game development mostly because I’m curious, I think future applications will tend to be more “game-like” (VR etc) and also because I don’t want a job where I automate process and consequently people are fired. In Belgium, the game industry is not so much developed but there is Larian Studio, and a few smaller, they do a great job and I really want to use my programming skills in something FUN so I’ve made plain javascript Tetris, then I have started to learn C#, now I’m following Ben’s Unity course and Michael’s Blender course and I am gonna work on C and C++ soon and also GLSL HLSL if possible, I want to know everything! :smiley:

I don’t mind if this RPG course is dark or light, dynamic or tactic etc, I’m here to learn everything I can about game design and video game project management :slight_smile:

I wish you all to have fun being part of this early access RPG course !
See you

2 Likes

Hi

My name is Magnus Esko. I am an indie developer in the north of Sweden. Just started up my own company and I am about to release my first game any week now. It’s a retro fantasy action adventure called Rush to Adventure. It is inspired by classic NES titles like Zelda and Mario. Been working on it off and on in my spare time for almost 5 years now. Working on the last boss right now and thinking about how I am going to market the game.

Currently I am also taking the Unity course as I will start using Unity for my next game. I will do my first Unity project from scratch during Global Game Jam next weekend. I’m not even half way through Glitch Garden so we’ll see how that goes :slight_smile: Can’t wait to fully make the switch to Unity and do all the course material. Have lots of plans for my next game.

4 Likes

Hey Guys

My name is Shane and i’m from Ireland.Thanks to Ben and Sam who created the Unreal development course I’m currently learning C++. I’ve used both Unreal and Unity and love working within both engines. Gaming has always been a major passion of mine and a couple years ago I decided i wanted to get more from that passion so I started to build games. I found this to be a very rewarding process and I am hoping to make it into a career, either freelance or within a company. My current skills are in 3D modelling in Maya(2016) and i have learned JavaScript, Blender, HTML and CSS. I am really looking forward to this course as RPG’s are among my favorite games to play.

I’d like to say a big thank you to all of the community who backed this and @Instructors who have dedicated the time and effort into delivering this fantastic course. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone.
Name: Chris.
Started studying phsyics&information sciences at TU in Berlin. (long time ago, but never finished lol)

Now i am owner of a few food-trucks and trying to earn the money, to have the leisure time, to continue the stuff and learn the things, I would have needed, when I was young.

Spent a lot of time in Emacs, Linux, Comb. of C and C++, OpenGL, GLSL, Blender, Gimp.

Nice to meet ya.

Chris

2 Likes

General discussion here

:slight_smile:

Hello All!

I’m Rich. I’ve spent most of my life doing EMS and public safety along with taking care of a bunch of my elderly family through the years. Didn’t leave me much time to explore my interests.

I’m now doing that at 51 [ugh am I really that old?]

I live in Massachusetts and am working my way through the Unity course from the beginning again, I stopped and felt starting over was best. I also have the Blender course and the physics course to do.

Looking forward to this course and hopefully taking the ideas in my head to reality.

Hoping we all have fun!

Rich

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

I’m Danny, 26 and from the UK.

I’m purely a hobbyist who learns for fun, and because I can’t work due to disability, I love to learn to keep my mind active. I have learned a little bit of everything, but I have decided on specifically going 3D Modelling/Animation and Unity C# for fun as I didn’t seem to bond with C++, Obj C, Java or Ruby etc.
Web design felt a little too boring too with HTML/CSS/Javascript.

So yeah… Here I am! I read the reviews of Ben and the team and thought it was a perfect opportunity!

Hope to get to know you guys more, and I hope everyone enjoys the course too!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Mario here from Amsterdam, the Netherlands(Holland), 48 years old and still coding strong.

We are building a game at the moment and wanted to get some more info on how we would build it properly (having no experience in game building, but only in large enterprise systems). I have coded in about 30+ language, but currently mainly use C#, C++, Java and Delphi.

Cheers

Mario

1 Like

So great to see this sub-forum hotting-up, welcome everyone!

4 Likes

I’m James, from Brisbane Australia. I’ve been through Ben’s Unity, VR and Blender courses (at various stages of completion) and currently working towards Unity Certification.

I work professionally in the software/digital industry (non-gaming) and was a Java dev for many years. 6 months ago I started my indie ( https://ninjachimpstudios.com ) as both retirement plan and a vehicle for my kids to build commercial games - both are proficient in Scratch and the eldest is learning Unity.

Looking forward to the RPG!

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Daniel and I’m a 26 year old full stack .NET developer from Ontario, Canada.

I’ve gone through a majority of the Unity developer course and have recently started the Blender course. The courses, so far, have helped me to be able to start designing and working on my own small projects. I’m currently working on planning out my own small projects and have been finding it quite fun to do. I’m still getting used to the component model that Unity uses but I try to not let that hold me back!

I’m excited for the RPG course because I want to see how a professionally designed Unity game looks from a designer / programmer perspective.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am George from Toronto Canada. Most of my life has been spent in the education sector which (busy as it is) hasn’t left me much time to explore my interests until now at 52 years of age (boy am I that old?)

I have worked my way through and finished the Unity course, the Game Physics Course and the Complete Blender Course as well. I am currently working my way through the Unreal Course.

I too am looking forward to this course and putting some of my ideas into reality.

Have fun everyone!

George

1 Like

Hello everyone! I see a great amount of awesome people!

My name is Tony J. And I’ve been a C# and web developer for 6+ years I love what I do, but my true passion is games development. My wife is an amazing composer and my close friend is an animator, so I try to have them help out when able for my projects. :smile:

I look forward to what this course offers and have been on top of the previous courses to enrich my experience.

Hope, I can meet others that would love to colaboraye on a project.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m a technical writer in the IT industry, living and working in the heart of Europe. Last summer, I began learning C++ on my own, and came across Ben’s Unreal course. I’m still not done with it yet, about halfway through the latter part of it. In August I joined a collective that was born out of this community, with aims of creating a game somewhere down the road. Getting to know people from around the world, through this one common passion of coding and games, is something I feel very greatful for.

During the holidays, I dove into C to get a firmer understanding of some of the concepts I have had a hard time getting comfortable with, in particular pointers and C-style strings. To me, approaching something I want to learn from a range of different angles has always made sense. That’s also part of the reason why I decided to back this course. That, and the fact that I still remember how awesome Diablo was when it was released. Creating even a rudimentary clone that can provide some of the same thrill will be a lot of fun!

Lastly, this seems like a fun way to get into C#. I already had a couple of the other C# courses. Learning C# while making something fun just seems like a good idea, to be honest.

I look forward to the course, and getting to know you all a little better!

1 Like

Hi Everyone.

I’m Mark from Australia. I’ve been a professional programmer for about 20 years (mostly Java but occasionally other languages such as Ruby, Python, C and C# as well as managing my companies AWS environment and application deployments). I started off working on the HotDog html editor many years ago (anyone admitting to knowing that product will be showing their age :wink: )

I haven’t written a game since I was a teenager, but every year when I go to PAX I come home with a whole heap of game ideas so I started Ben’s Unity course to see if I can’t make some of them a reality. I’m only about half way thru at the moment but it is so good that when the RPG kickstarter popped up I had to be part of it. And now I am :slight_smile:

I’m really looking forward to seeing where this course goes and what people produce as a result of it.

4 Likes

Hehe scary. I remember HotDog, and having to use CuteFTP I think it was back then.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m Chris from Montana.

I’ve been programming off and on for 20 years now, mostly web based stuff, perl, php, some python and a very little c++.
I’ve made a few text based games, but never did move into video game programming. Until I found the Unity course.
I’m about to tackle the glitch garden section, after a long hiatus, then I’m going to turn my focus over to the blender course, while waiting for this one to get going.

I’ve been a gamer pretty much all my life, started out on an old atari 2600, jumped to NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, PC, Xbox, PS3.
RPGs have always been my favorite genre to play, hence my interest in this course.

2 Likes

Way to go Danny!!! You are inspiring!

1 Like

You are too kind! :slight_smile:
After a bad day today though, your comment has made me feel that bit better. Appreciate the kind words!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms