Intelisense, UnityEngine.SceneManagement not working, Help!

VSCode doesn’t seem to want to work with Unity (or perhaps the other way round) and refuses to use Intelisense properly.

When trying to auto-complete the line " UnityEngine.SceneManagement" I don’t get anything to do with UnityEngine or SceneManagement https://gyazo.com/8c5662a146b7dbe1934544096de1da64

I think this is an issue with Intelisense or VSCode rather than unity, as even when I copy/paste Rick’s code in place of my own it still doesn’t work.

Using my own version of the code:

I’ve tried reinstalling VSCode and updating the dotnet sdk (Whatever that means, VSCode just suggested it), other versions of Unity Snippets and Debug tools.

Any ideas?

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Please follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

If the issue persists, please check the console of VS Code (not Unity!). If the .NET Framework 4.7.1 (Developer Pack) is mentioned there, download and install it from the official Microsoft. Here is the link: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net471

Depending on your version of Unity, it might be that you will have to install the “Visual Studio Code Editor” package in Window > Package Manager in Unity.

Maybe you’ll have to reboot your computer. Then launch Unity again and open one of your scripts.

Did this help?

See also:

Hi Nina!

Unfortunately no joy, all the extensions are installed and I’ve tried reinstalling both VSCode and Unity, updated both as well as installing the .NET framework, and the VSCode editor Unity package is installed too

Could you install Visual Studio Community Edition? If so, do that and select it as your External Script Editor in Unity. Also make sure the Visual Studio Editor package is installed in the Package Manager.

I know it might cost a bit of money, but all of these problems disappeared when I dropped Visual Studio. I use Jetbrains ONLY now and have never had any problems since. I am redoing this course for the 3rd time just to get back up to speed This issue with VS Code(Cannot be solved because VSCode is dynamically updating, it’s an Electron app so it’s constantly validating from the web) and Visual Studio and Microsoft actually retarded my own coding development and growth. I spent hours on this problem, not just with Unity but every other coding language I work with(Python, Javascript, C++) If you are serious about this, then do not hesitate any longer. I wasted so much time. I am breezing through this course using Rider and Tabnine code completion AI now. Instead of worrying about DotNet this, that, and the other I can actually focus on what I am doing with the code.

Finally worked thank you!

Whilst I’m not against paying for software at all, and I’d love to take this all seriously it’s just not viable for me right now, once I can put it as a business expense maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms