I think this video needs a warning about the bug in it a bit earlier

like everyone else i had the " my editor crashes when we go back in after the refactor". The problem is, the instructor goes into his editor doesn’t have an issue at first. he quickly addresses it but when he starts up with no issue…i crashed… so thought i had screwed up. I started changing any variation i had from his code trying to understand what i did wrong. that didn’t fix it, i started trying to comment out stuff to see what was causing the issue, but the editor crashes WITH EVERY TRY. i decided just to see if he would resolve it later in the video. obviously he does…

If someone had just said " hey there is going to be a bug in the middle of this. its going to crash your editor completely. just keep watching and we will fix it". that would have been great. he has '“pre-warned” us about bugs loads of times already in the course. I’m not sure why it wasn’t done here on the first bug that actually consistently crashes unity.

side note: i really don’t mind all the ad hock bug fixes and refactors in this course. sometimes it feels a bit meaty and hard to digest, but it definitely helps you learn how to think about the code and keeps you from “zombie following” the instructor. this particular one was maybe just beyond my level of understanding when it came to the OnBeforeSerialize and we did so many changes before going back in to test.

Privacy & Terms