I suck at painting and I'd like artistic advice

Hello, everyone!

I’m doing the blender course in which we model an orc, and while I think I did quite well on the sculpting part, when it came down to painting I’m not really satisfied.

I’d love some artistic advice on what I did wrong and what I could have done better.

I know the fists and toes went really bad, but at that point I had given up on painting and started to move on to animation. (Following the advice on not dwelling too long on something that’s discouraging me)

What I tried to do was paint with a less bright color, and less saturated, but I believe I cranked up the saturation at some point. My idea was to go in an art style similar to Fable’s, which is highly styilized and somewhat cartoonized, even, but uses a more “sober” color palette.

I used the green as the base color and painted with darker green dots in some places. For shadows I used a darker color a little more towards yellow, to add a little bit of character. For roughness, I used a very rough base, then added some rougher parts with a clouds texture mask, and some smoother parts as well. I tried to add emission to the eyes, but it didn’t work.

Somewhere it went sour and the result isn’t good. I’d love advice on what I could improve and some videos, articles and stuff to get me started.

Oh, there was a problem with baking as well, some parts of the normal map and cavity map went wild (I’ve poured quite a few hours in baking, but some fine tuning was necessary that I didn’t know how to do, and my computer was begging for mercy). I corrected it manually by picking adjacent colors and painting over with my pen tablet on the respective maps.

2 Likes

It looks good to me… guess it depends on the style you wanted? :man_shrugging:

When hitting a metaphorical brick wall with some task or issue, it often helps to take a break from that task for more than a day so you can re-visit it with fresh eyes. Often that is enough to make a breakthrough.

2 Likes

Did you finish the course?

1 Like

Yes! Just finished the course. It was an awesome course.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms