I don't understand Our Rotation Couplings

I don’t understand the form – Our Rotation Couplings. What is the meaning of coupling? What is the meaning of control throw?

Additionally, I assume “Position on Screen” is the Ship’s position when the Rig moves according to the Timeline, while there is not yet user input; right? In this case, why there is also need for rotation coupling?

Hi,

“Rotation coupling” refers to how the Euler angle, which consists of 3 components, gets processed by Unity. See this piece of information in the manual:

Euler angle rotations perform three separate rotations around the three axes. Unity performs the Euler rotations sequentially around the z-axis, the x-axis and then the y-axis.

If your rotation works as expected, don’t worry too much about it.

The controlThrow value is supposed to create a little effect based on the user input. Since the user input ranges from -1 to 1, we multiply the user input value by another value to make the result more obvious.

is this what you wanted to know?

See also:

1 Like

Thanks. This helps a lot. I’m still puzzled by it, so I added a paragraph to my original question. Could you give me some more help on that one?

Here is a video explaining how an aircraft rotation works Pitch, Roll & Yaw: Explained - YouTube

We are linking those rotations to our inputs. For example, if you press Up and Left at the same time you will Roll and Pitch at the same time (I’ve attached an image that showcases the axes.

I would also encourage you to look over the previous questions (there are over 20threads on this lesson) to gain some more insight or to see what other students achieved/made.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I actually already understood the meaning of pitch, yaw and roll.

Yes my habit is to check if other people have raised a similar question like mine. So I did go through threads with “Ask” mark. I hadn’t found one.

I did check a few shows by other students achieved/made. In a way, they encouraged me, while in the other way, they made me anxious that I have not been able to develop like what they have accomplished. I have language barriers. And I’ve never been coding before I took up this course.

1 Like

I hope this is the new paragraph you are referring to. :slight_smile:

What we see on our game screen is determined by the camera. The camera “sees” and renders the scene. It’s like our eyes. So “position on Screen” refers to the camera’s viewport. The Player Ship must be “seen” by the camera to appear on your game screen.

The Player Rig (= the root game object) gets moved by the Timeline animation. Its children are the Camera and the Player Ship. Children of a game object move relative to their parent. This means that the Camera and the Player Ship follow the Player Rig. That’s why it looks as if the Timeline animates the Player Ship.

Nobody gets born with coding skills. Do not expect to be an exception. You are just like everybody else. That means: You have to start from scratch like everybody else. Most of us game developers are not “highly gifted”. We usually show the result of hard work, not our “embarassing” first attempts or mistakes. If you put time and effort into your learning journey and your projects, you will become as good as most of us if not better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help.

Your explainatioin is very clear but does not solve my problem, because after going over this and several previous lectures again, I found that I had this confusion because I had misunderstood the words “Pitch, Yaw, Roll” in the “Rotation Coupling” table that Rick has used. I think maybe Rick should have used “pitchValue, yawValue, rollValue” as vairables in his script instead of “pitch, yaw, roll” so I won’t mix them with “Pitch, Yaw, Roll” that I now realize he is referring to the rotation actions in the “Rotation Coupling” table. I am not that sensitive to the difference of lower capital vs upper capital as more experienced coders do.

And special thanks to your encouragement. I find going over the puzzled lectures more carefully again is very helpful. Yes, I’m a bit slower. But I’ll make it. I’ll work harder.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms