How much harder does it get from here?

While I was struggling to keep up during the last few grid lectures, this one has been extremely difficult for me to understand the exact meaning behind what I’ve added to the scripts.

I’ve slowed down the videos as I find the instructor goes too fast for me to keep up personally, but I find that unlike other courses I’ve taken I seem to now be more often than not copying the code across without really getting what it does. I can understand how most of the functions work but everything now seems so interconnected, using very similar variable names and references that I just can’t process it in my head anymore

I imagine I’m going to need to replay this lecture quite a few times before I can follow what bits of code we added and why we added them in the way that we did. So for anyone who has gotten further into the course, how much more complex does it get from here? I’d ideally like to avoid the same issue but with way more scripts I don’t fully understand

First of all, you’re not alone. There’s a lot of information packed into these lessons. The good news is you can view these videos as often as you need to, and you can slow them down (as I tend to do with Hugo’s lectures, because he puts a lot of information in his lectures!) or speed them up (as I tend to do with Rick’s lectures, because his voice just sounds hillarious at 2x!).

Here’s what I tend to do (and recommend). I usually take two passes through a given course.

The first pass, I try to absorb as much as I can, keep the code up to date with the instructor, and pause a lot to look up any references or terms that might be an issue. If I don’t have the answer to a challenge, I’ll see what the instructor did, and make any adjustments.

The second pass, I start with a new project, and try to apply some of the things the instructor has demonstrated, and to play around with the code… this is the chance to make the project your own and really experiment with different values, or even a different approach to tackling the problem.

Repeat this as often as you need, and understanding will grow with each pass. Unlike courses in a formal setting (schools and universities), we don’t put a time limit on your success. Nobody is going to hand out a report card.

The good news is that we’re here for you every step of the way. If you have any questions about a concept taught in our lessons, please feel free to ask! That’s what we’re here for. We want you to succeed.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms