How do I uninstall VS Community Insiders from Linux Ubuntu?

I honestly don’t expect an answer…I’ve been searching for two hours now. Lemme back up just a bit…

A few months ago, I put GameDev on hold. I was having problems getting WebGL to run my game. I couldn’t fix it, and then on an unrelated note, I took some time to study JS and React Native. Had a great time, still studying JS and React Native. Installed a bunch of cool stuff into my VS Code, etc…

Fast forward…decided to dabble in GameDev and build the obstacle course from the new content. Had to reinstall Unity because of OS reloads during the previously mentioned hiatus.

New development: When I installed Unity this time, there’s this new thing that I was not expecting called “VS Community”. I blasted past it without thinking much about it.

Now Unity cannot find VS Code and my scripts won’t connect.

I’m literally stuck on the first coding lesson because of this. I cannot find ANY literature that can tell me how to correct this.

I’ve also thought to browse and try to find my VS Code installation, but I just can’t find it and I don’t know where to look. All Google searches tell me where to find it in Windows, but not Linux, even thought I specifically ask for Linux.

So far, my only thought is to once again do a complete OS reload, which means that I’ll have to spend hours reconfiguring VS Code back to a usable state for all of my stuff: React, JS, C#/Unity, etc…

I’m so…man, there isn’t a word for it that’s acceptable in this forum.

Can anyone relate?

Hi @b4t54ndw1ch,

If you use a newer version of Unity such as 2020 or 2021, go to Window > Package Manager and install the Visual Studio Editor.

In External Tools > External Script Editor, click the drop down menu, then on “Browse” and look for Visual Studio Code. If I don’t know where a program is but if I have a desktop shortcut, I check to which folder the shortcut is pointing. This way, I am usually able to figure out where the actual program is.

According to my research, VS Code Insiders appears to be an alpha or beta version or something like that. Their website says “For early adopters”.

Whether you use this version or another one for Unity, follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed.

For uninstalling VS Code Insiders, maybe this or something like this will work: ubuntu 18.04 - how to uninstall visual-studio-code insider - Stack Overflow

Please feel free to ask our helpful community of students for further advice over on our Discord chat server.

Hopefully, this helped. :slight_smile:

See also:

Thank you Nina, still working on it. I think I’ve seen most of this already.

I used the most recent version of Unity this time, as I had not loaded it in several months.

That VS Community Insiders thing wasn’t there before. I’ve never heard of it, so I didn’t expect it.

The External Tools route is not helpful. That was my first screenshot and I cannot find where to ‘browse’ for VS Code. In Linux, the location doesn’t show up from the Launcher Icon the same way it does in Windows.

It wasn’t installed using SNAP, so any SNAP commands are useless. Can’t even search for SNAP packages. For the record, I’ve never heard of SNAP until last night.

Seriously, reloading the OS seems like it would waste a lot less time. I lose days over stupid stuff like this and it just makes me furious. I’m not afraid to do research, but I really need to feel like I’m getting somewhere and this is ridiculous.

I just opened this message thread first thing this morning and I have a meeting and some things to do. I won’t be able to work on this for a few hours, but I wanted to check for a response.

Thank you again for your help! I’m gonna go try to pull myself together again.

Maybe this will help. Scroll down to Linux.

I’m not afraid to do research, but I really need to feel like I’m getting somewhere and this is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, this experience is part of everybody’s career in this field. At some point, everybody gets stuck due to problems with their operating system, software or whatever. That’s why “never change a running system” is not a joke but a principle. You have to stick with these problems until they are solved, and that’s how you will become good at researching, which is the most important skill as a game developer. At least in my opinion.

And if you are able to do research “like a programmer”, you will very likely find solutions by other programmers because they use the same keywords when describing a problem or a solution. For example, I almost never type out full questions because that rarely gives me the desired results. Instead, I spam a few keywords such as “visual studio inside uninstall linux” into my preferred search engine. After you told me that the result I linked here didn’t help you, I tried to find alternative commands. The answer with “snap” mentioned “code-insiders”, so it makes sense to look for that. With “remove code-insiders ubuntu” or “sudo remove-insiders ubuntu” I found in a new potential solution for you. That’s how I do research: Typing “something”, checking the results, doing more research based on promising keywords.

Maybe you looked for the same as I. In that case, ignore what I typed here.

Good evening Nina!

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner…I’ve had a lot going on here. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about how I want to move forward with my projects. I did try those things that you mentioned…I tried them a few nights ago when I got home form work. I wasn’t able to get anything done so instead I took a few days off and got some sun, rode my bicycle around town, did my yard-work, etc…and I did work on a small JS project.

I’m really learning better researching methods, things like using a 4 step process, reading stackoverflow and MDN, etc…I’m getting the hang of it.

I think there is going to be a time in the future when this problem will no longer be an issue…like, I’ll have the money to buy a computer dedicated to Unity projects…or something like that. I’ll know what to look for next time I do the install.

…or…

…somewhere along the journey I’ll pick up the trail again and discover some new things to try. All I know is that it won’t be long before I solve this in some way.

I’ve recently seen a few more jobs available in my area for web developers and such, so I’ve been taking a lot of notes and working in JS a little more often. That has also helped my understanding of C# because I’m always comparing and checking what I know about the two languages…and thinking of why they are different in the ways that they are. It’s been really cool, and I know that I want to do this //writecode for a living. I’m seeing the jobs spring up here and there. I need to get one!

(Edit: change careers…I’m almost 46…I’m an electrician, I do industrial automation, I was a power supply technician/tester, repair/bench work, cable building, soldering, burn-ins, installs, rip-outs, military targetry, radar tech, mostly electromechanical hardware type stuff, etc…)

I’m getting comfortable with contacting recruiters and asking what the interviewers are looking for. I feel like I can start shaping my resume into something that will get me started. Those are the types of problems I need to address at the moment.

I know the Unity thing will sort itself out at some time. I honestly feel like the Universe is pushing me in a direction, like messing up my Unity game because I really need to study JS and get one of these jobs in my town right now. It’s like, fate related, the Universe saying if this is what I want, then that’s my fastest way in…and I need to study because I’m not there yet. That’s what Unity has felt like for me, lately. It’s been so weird.

I’m super grateful for all of your help! I know it won’t be long before I start working on another Unity game. I’ve gotten some really great ideas for how I want to make my obstacle course into a stealth type game. I honestly cannot wait!

~Jago

Later that day…

I know it isn’t C#, but I honestly think I crushed it this time!

The colored pens are fun, and they really help me to focus on specific things.

Anyway, I have this in a notebook now to take with me to interviews and I feel really good about that!

I’m posting this on LinkedIn

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms