How can I make a Curved Shaped Notch?

I wanted to create a more complicated notch for my bishop than the one made in this lecture. But I’m not sure what kind of shape I should use to get the results similar to the reference photos below. It can’t just be a simple cylinder, because the notch the bottom bulges up instead of bulging down. Does anyone know how I can create this kind of cut for the boolean modifier? I’ll provide some reference photos below.

Bishop Reference

2 Likes

It depends on how you model the notch.
OR
after the boolean action (APPLIED), you can manipulate vertices as you wish.
But it is the next step in modeling and not part of this chessboard challenge.

Better to follow all the lessons, learn more Blender tools and skills. Because it can be done but it takes too much explanation.

2 Likes

I’m no expert when it comes to boolean methods, but I’m visualizing the use of half a Torus. If you cut it in half, rotate and resize it, using the inner side of the Torus should give you the boolean shape you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Oh yeah you could probably do that. I’m sort of seeing it myself. Let me see what happens if I give that a try.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look no further! I gave it a try and it came out pretty close. I’m really happy with the results. I might fiddle with this to get a more accurate cut and maybe even use the same technique if I ever create a high poly model for this piece. Thanks so much for your help!

3 Likes

I’m glad it worked out for you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh, and if you decide to use this method for a high poly Bishop, then I would subdivide the Torus to give you a smoother boolean cut.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms