Low-Poly Bishop with Notch

I made my first render with a square but I’m curious how to create a notch with a curved shape that some bishop pieces have. :thinking:

[Edit] Here’s the bisop’s notch at a slight angle. It might be a little hard to see, but as a stylistic choice, I didn’t want the angle to be too steep. I approached this with the mindset that the notch is meant to show the shape of the bishop’s hat. In a bishop’s hat, the middle part is open and the notch was intended to be used to carve that out. That’s why I want to represent it as a curved shape.

1 Like

Looks fine, though the notch is usually at an angle.

Use a different curved shaped cutter.

2 Likes

You can’t see the notch angle from this side. Maybe I’ll post another render where you can more easily see it.

Do you know what kind of curved shape cutter I could use? In some of the reference photos I use, the bishop’s notch curves up at the very bottom instead of curving down. It seems more complicated than a cylandar being sliced. Here are some of the reference photos I’m using. Do you know how I can create a shape that would make this kind of cut for the boolean modifier?

Bishop Reference

1 Like

Your reference is very much straighter than ‘usual’ no big deal huge variety out there.

Yes it is a more complex cutter to shape.

My quick low poly take on it. Started as a cube. Using Proportional editing, various shape modes, axis constraining, etc. Not hard but maybe not really something for someone at this stage of the course. Like the knight will be, lots of vert manipulation.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I actually had the idea to create a topic after I wrote that last reply. Someone else gave me the idea to use the inner part of a torus and it came out pretty close to my expectations. I’ll post a link in this thread in case anyone else is interested. But I’ll keep your take in mind as an alternative solution.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms