Help with project. Spawning Random Prefabs at Random Locations

Hello there guys,

I am having trouble with some Ball Spawning code i was trying to create while watching course.
I wanted to make this spawn random types of ball prefabs at certain percentage chances. AT random locations. I know…

I got everything almost working but when i bring the two ideas together they will not work but separately they do. I think the problem lies in how i am instantiating and trying to use my GetRandomSpawn method.

Is this possible? How would i split this up into multiple methods and achieve the same result?

PROBLEM LINE OF CODE: Instantiate(BallsToSpawn[GetRandomSpawn],new Vector3(xBallPos,yBallPos, 1), Quaternion.identity);

CODE:
using System.Collections;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using UnityEngine;

public class BallGeneration : MonoBehaviour

{

public GameObject Ball;

[SerializeField] public int totalBallCount = 10;

public float xBallPos, yBallPos;

[SerializeField] public int ballCount;

[SerializeField] float[] percentagesToSpawn;

[SerializeField] GameObject[] BallsToSpawn;

Transform spawnPoint;

void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D collision) {

if (collision.gameObject.tag == "Ball")

{

Debug.Log("Void Hit");

ballCount -= 1;

}

}

void Start()

{

StartCoroutine(BallDrop());

IEnumerator BallDrop()

{

while (ballCount < totalBallCount)

{

xBallPos = Random.Range(-7.8f, 9f);

yBallPos = Random.Range(5.45f, 7f);

Instantiate(BallsToSpawn[GetRandomSpawn],new Vector3(xBallPos,yBallPos, 1), Quaternion.identity);

ballCount += 1;

yield return new WaitForSeconds(.7f) ;

}

}  

}

public IEnumerable<int> GetRandomSpawn()

{

float random = Random.Range(0f, 1f);

float numForAdding = 0;

float total = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < percentagesToSpawn.Length; i++)

{

total += percentagesToSpawn[i];

}

for (int i = 0; i < BallsToSpawn.Length; i++)

{

if(percentagesToSpawn[i] / total + numForAdding >= random)

{

yield return i;

}

else{

numForAdding += percentagesToSpawn[i] / total;

}

}

}

}

Hi Braden,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

I got everything almost working but when i bring the two ideas together they will not work but separately they do.

What did you expect to happen? What happened instead?

See also:

Hello, the problem is that your GetRandomSpawn() method returns IEnumerable which is (I am oversimplifying here a little bit) a collection of numbers. In order to call:
Instantiate(BallsToSpawn[xxx])
xxx has to be specific number.

I would suggest doing BallsToSpawn[Random.Range(0, BallsToSpawn.Length - 1)] if you just want to instantiate random ball :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Welcome to the community.

If you want to keep your GetRandomSpawn method, you’ll need to make some adjustments:

• Remove the IEnumerable type and replace it with an int type.
  • Make all paths return an int.

If you are planning on using the BallDrop method more than once you’ll have to take it out of the Start method, or you’ll have to call the Start method every time you want to spawn more balls, which is kinda weird.

Try to be careful with your access modifiers, I’m seeing variables that are declared as serializable fields and also set as public, if those variables are not being accessed by other scripts you should not set them as public, if they are being accessed by other scripts, then you don’t need the [SerializeField].

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms