Height and Width

While this is a long video, with a lot of fast paced coding, it’s the logic of the setup that requires the thinking , not the coding. Once you have your head around how we are achieving the solution, it’s pretty easy to implement. Which is fantastic.

Two comments, really (yes - here comes the Out By One error!). The first is that we have member variables for width and height which we didn’t seem to use ( I got null exception errors when I coded this, because I was referencing them rather than the gridSystem.GetWidth/Height). I fixed by caching them early.

Secondly, some may struggle with the length of this lecture. 30 mins of video translated into over an hour of note taking, rewinding, referencing, etc. It may be worth, in a future iteration having a design lecture before hand to do the flow chart logic of pathfinding and then translating that into code.

Thirdly (told you!), there haven’t been any challenges recently, and that’s a relief on the longer videos, but a split version (as point 2) may leave room for creating a while loop or whatever as one.

Finally, to date this has been a brilliant course. Very much enjoyed it and learned a lot (not necessarily new coding, but how to use the knowledge to get the results). Thank you. None of my comments are criticisms, merely ideas for a bit of potential polish.

:slight_smile:

EDIT: OK. 10 seconds into the next video - height and width sorted. I’ll go shut up now. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yup I set those up later.
This is because in my original prototype I had those set up as SerializeFields but in the final course I wanted to only define the Grid size in just one place so I made it so the LevelGrid is the only place where you define that instead of multiple scripts requiring the same size assigned.

I’ll keep your two notes in mind for future updates, thanks for your feedback! I’m glad you’re enjoying the course!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms