Hair... is what this practice made me want to pull

This whole hair thing… turns out… not easy :smiley:

8 Likes

You gotta start somewhere, and its a good start! :grin:

Reminds me of the first time I tried hair a few years ago, and it didn’t quite turn out how I wanted:

This was Maya though, not Blender.

4 Likes

Yes hair is very hard to get looking right. It will probably get an update sometime into nodes.

4 Likes

Good shot, much better than my first attempt. The problem is, I haven’t attempted yet- which will likely not be as nice as yours.

That’s decent regardless. I noticed the added “beauty” mark as a nice touch.

2 Likes

Maya does have a very nice suite of hair grooming tools which I miss, I hope Blender gets something similar in the future.

1 Like

Yeah, I was gonna ask if Maya offers better tools or worse. But you already answered that. I think Maya doesn’t offer much in the sculpting department. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Anyways, yeah… I tried. Am not entirely happy with what I got, but you do have to start somewhere indeed :slight_smile:

@Zangk I’m sure you’ll do great. Ping me when you upload yours. I’d love to see it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Autodesk makes Mudbox, which is their sculpting program (which incidentally was where I first began my sculpting journey :slight_smile:). A few years ago they incorporated some of the functionality of Mudbox into Maya for some sculpting. But I don’t remember liking it much.

2 Likes

I guess blender is truly the only “One stop shop”, or at least, that is what they are aiming for…
I’m rooting for that :smiley:

3 Likes

@MuhammadAKS- I will have to be sure to remember to do so :+1:

1 Like

As promised, @MuhammadAKS, here are my hair pictures for you to compare- most of them are done in Cycles, so there might be some difference due to that alone. If you want I can also post some Eevee pictures… these are not usually as impressive.

All in all, I do not think yours is that bad off. Plus since I used shorter hair, I had less to work with.

1 Like

Yeah. shorter hair do seem like less work. And I can see that you used more clusters and less individual strands. But it seems to work out just fine.
Good job though :slight_smile:

Oh and also, thanks for remembering to share. Btw, your sculpt is awesome <3

2 Likes

Thank you very much and no problem- I bookmarked this page so that I would not forget!

The reference picture seemed to call for more cluster and thinner hair. Gives it that “still got it, but not as much as I used to…” look.

Privacy & Terms