Giyomu Tactics for Android (inspired by Lara Croft GO)

Hi everyone!

I have followed a couple of lessons from Ben (and Sam) on Udemy in order to improve my Unity skills. I am currently preparing for the Certification exam and taking their lesson on that. During the “Providing Critique” lesson Ben mentionned this showcase section, so I figured I might as well do some showcasing!

I present you my latest game called Giyomu Tactics! It’s in the vein of Lara Croft GO for those who played it, but with different ideas like the fact that you control several characters in each level and each character has different skills.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.giyomu.fantasytactics
Browser: https://giyomu-games.itch.io/giyomu-tactics

I hope you will like it and let me know what you think!

Trailer here

11 Likes

This is the best game that I have played from the “Showcase” section until now. :+1:
All the best for your future games.

3 Likes

Well done!!
Looks amazing, Must have a go tormorrow. All the best!

Wow thanks a lot guys!!! That means a lot!!!
I’ll do my best! :slight_smile:

Was playing it on the train to work. Very nice.
Tool a little while to figure out how to move etc so maybe a brief tutorial vid/doc or the like just to show the basics.

But that said. I really enjoyed the challenges and were well thought out and trying to figure out what unit does based on how they look :slight_smile: so that gives a good feeling when you suss the unit and level out.

Really Well done!!

Hi again OboShape!

Thanks for the feedback! For the no-tutorial thing, I took example (wrongly?) on Lara Croft GO and the likes, where they don’t explain the controls as they are not difficult. I was thinking that if someone tried to swipe the screen, s/he’d see that it made the screen move and not the characters, therefore s/he should try clicking on the destinations instead. And I tried to make clear signs for when you can activate a lever or kill an enemy, hoping it would be clear.
All this being said I have seen players try the game and like you at first they were not sure how to move etc., though they picked it up rapidly. Next time I’ll probably try to include a tutorial! The thing as you probably know is that tutorials are really annoying to include in the game(play). I guess I was a bit lazy for that ^^’

Yeah same for the 3 units, I tried to design the levels to “force” the player to understand which unit does what. Not sure if I succeeded or not (I’m not aspiring to become a level designer! ^^), but hopefully with trial and error it becomes clear after a couple levels.

Thanks again! I hope you enjoy it until the end! Recently I updated the game so you can skip a level if you are stuck (on “Select Level” you will always have at least 2 levels to choose from). Indeed, many people were stuck on level 9, sometimes 12, so it should help people go a bit further. Though the next levels are even more difficult but… they are not impossible! ^^

Yep im really enjoying it.
It didnt take long to figure controls etc just thinking out loud heh :slight_smile:

Being able to zoom into units to look at em and guess what they do was a nice touch. As it was a eureka moment in my head " ah, so thats what they do." So quite satisfying.

Only on level 6 just now as playing during tea breaks. But i personally wouldnt have an issue watching a vid / ad now and again for a game of this calibre as i feel it would be worth it for the hard work that went into it.

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

If the game starts to be super popular I may consider monetization, but I don’t want to bother the few people who play it for now ^^

In a few levels you’ll see that enemies start to move in various patterns. It makes the levels more interesting I believe :slight_smile:

Yes I also think you should monetise it. Especially for the effort that you have put into this wonderful game.

I think you can look at Mekorama for monetisation ideas.

In that game you have to buy the game to get hints.

And talking of hints I am currently stuck at level 12 :smile:

Thanks dreamer! And this looks like a great and inspiring game, I’m going to try it out! :slight_smile:

I see it has more than 5M download! That’s amazing! Definitely if my game were to start having so many downloads (heck, 1000 would be freaking fantastic ^^) I would spend the time to develop a hint system. However right now I have less than 100 downloads, and there is only a few new players each day (sometimes 0). So I think the efforts required to implement a payed hint system are not worth the time I would invest to make it work (it’s definitely much harder than a tutorial ^^’).

Just to clarify a bit why I created this game: I’m not trying to make money with this game (obviously ^^), I just want to create a portfolio of games I can show to gaming companies looking for unity developers and eventually get a job. We’ll see how it goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

All the best :thumbsup:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

By the way I just realized that somehow when starting a game it would begin at level 2 instead of level 1. I corrected this already, but OboShape that may be why you felt the start was a bit difficult. The 1st level at least helps understand how to move without too much of a headache :slight_smile:

Additionnally the game is now playable on a browser: https://giyomu-games.itch.io/giyomu-tactics

1 Like

Ah heh. Didnt notice… yea.

Still trying my darndest to get l14 done for the last couple of days. Im not gonna give up too old and stubborn to take the easy way out lol.

Gotta say still loving the level complexity and thought that went into it.

Got a few of the lads playing it offshore too and ive asked them to put rating and feedback on store to boost it up :wink:

Thanks for everything!!! :slight_smile:
And don’t hesitate to skip level 14 if you are stuck for too long (you should be able to choose level 15 in the level selection menu). Though level 15 is tricky too ^^

This game is absolutely incredible! Couple of notes:

1. Feels wrong that the character wont pathfind.
  2. Feels like it needs some mood music.

Hi Sam, what a honor to get this comment from you :smiley:

1. Yes I didn’t go as far as implementing the path finding :frowning:
    Initially, like in Lara Croft / Hitman / Deus Ex GO we could only make the characters move step by step. My friends beta testers requested path finding, but that seemed like a difficult task and I settled with the ability to select destinations in straight lines. It’s definitely not really satisfactory, but still a bit better than nothing ^^’

2. Agreed… There is some kind of “music” which is more ambient sound like in a cave. I tried to find something which wouldn’t be annoying on Freesound.org but couldn’t find anything that I liked. Considering people may be stuck on levels and all, I didn’t want them to get crazy with the music. I’m open to suggestions though! :slight_smile:

I think the important thing regarding music is that it’s long enough for the loop to not be too annoying.

Absolutely, which makes it difficult to find :frowning:

Also… I followed your advice dreamer and Giyomu Tactics 1.6 is here!
If you are stuck on a level, you can watch an ad in exchange for the solution!

Initially when I was thinking about “hints” I absolutely couldn’t figure out how I would implement a way to help the player based on his/her current situation in the level. But then I realized that I could reload the level and show the player the correct moves one by one instead. This was rather easy to implement and now I got myself my first reward system! Not that I expect to earn more than 0.1$/month though, but it was interesting to implement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have updated the game! There is now a tutorial for the first 2 levels.

I also added some skippable ads once in a while (not often!).

3 Likes

Nicely done :ok_hand:

This site has some good fantasy themed music.

Also a reddit page for sharing/promoting games.

Privacy & Terms