Full animation movie "Stress Ball - The Pool"

This is my final animation, based on Section 4 “Animation principles”

I learned a lot by making this movie.
And I tried to keep it simple.
But I am glad I have reached the finish line.

Telling a short story in a logical order is difficult.
Even if you have some sort of script in mind.

To keep render times low, I decided to keep low poly’s for all objects.
After all, A high poly model can easily be added later on.
That said, I’ve created 30 Blender animation scenes.
So changing all those files with higher definition of poly models, will be a lot of work.
Each scene varies in number of frames, ranging from 40 to 190 frames.
The total movie is about 2700 frames.

Most of the scenes start where the previous scene ended.
I changed only the camera position.
Some cut scenes where introduced, to give the story a flow of logic.
Or, I hope so.
I tried to follow the “Animation principles”, but I quickly recognized that sometimes I used it too strong.
I needed more subtle movements or gestures. leading to more render nights.
And I did this a lot. Viewing, analysing the animation and render it again.
I even believe that I have crashed my video card. Rendering GPU is currently not what it was.
Render times doing identical scenes went from 1 minute per frame to 20 minutes.
And my monitor became unstable and out of sync.

But what can you expect when start 6 Blender sessions, each rendering a different part of the movie.
Hoping to see results the next morning or that something had crashed.

I must say Blender (2.79) is stable and robust.
But I discovered also three blender bugs, which caused delay in my project. This project started around January the 12th.
Since then I worked on a daily basis on the project.
I estimate that I have spend more then 80 hours on this project. And many nights of Blender render.
I had some frustration, but most of the time it was all fun.
But I really glad that the story is complete.

There are still some issues left. For you to discover. So please leave any comments, feedback or appreciation on this forum. It is all part of the learning experience.
Maybe this animation gives you the energy and inspiration to go on.

I wish you fast render times

37 Likes

I really enjoy this! I don’t have the skillset to really comment on any specifics, but I found the story you told in this really fun and engaging which also triggered several emotions. Really nice work! :slight_smile:

@Michael_Bridges - check this out! :slight_smile:

OH wow that is fantastic, great seeing all though different exercises being put together into this!

2 Likes

Great animation Pete, good job. I can see that you put a lot of hours into making this animation.
Now if you can make the water splashes then it will be perfect, but IMO blender fluid sim is not really that good and take too much time to bake and render for satisfactory result.

2 Likes

Fantastic stuff Pete. A really enjoyable watch!

2 Likes

That is very great, Pete. I like it very much: the story, the composition of some of the frames, it made me smile, a wounderful little film. You could be very proud.

1 Like

A+++ great animation! Congrats!

1 Like

fantastic! really funny.

1 Like

Very nicely done!

Definitely! You are awesome and amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this! I hope to get to your level someday. Keep kicking butt :).

1 Like

Love it! Keep it up! I’m so in love with this short movie!

This is great work, keep it up and stay making new things. :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

Awesome video!

I aways like to see your videos!

Cheers!

Great and funny animation! :slight_smile:

this was insanely cool! my only feedback is that i wish there was more to the ending. I can imagine him having another go at the diving board and “getting even” with the beach ball as a resolution. however your ending was great and made me laugh.

1 Like

Yes, I can understand a second or third diving attempt.
But it was a long, long journey and I was glad to end it (in a fast way).

In the process of making this animation I blew-up my laptop, usb-ports and GPU.
My system still works, but when it get too hot, message like “Your voltage is not according specs”, messages are popping up.

What I did was rendering several instances (up to eight) of Blender at night! So CPU / GPU 100% :wink:

Thank you all, for your feedback and ideas. I give me the energy to start new projects.

Maybe I will create a third movie. My first stress ball movie, was this short one.

https://vimeo.com/310424987

Have fun, and go render something.

1 Like

This is great :slight_smile: so much work and still it feels light, funny and heartwarming .

1 Like

Thank you, for your encouraging words.
I try to make animations, but it is still a long road for me (time consuming and still learning).
It’s all about how to bring life in lifeless objects.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms