For my "deathkick" I made a coroutine to flicker the player sprite when hit

MoonflowerVinesAndDeathShort

It’s still pretty messy but here’s where I’m at currently with my TileVania game. I’m really proud of using the coroutine successfully, as they have intimidated me in the past and led me to settle for invoking functions. I now have two coroutines working in my game, one that makes the player sprite flicker when taking damage, and another that makes the player invincible for 1 second after taking damage.

I’m also proud of the parallax effect, but it needs some touching up so the borders of it aren’t visible.

4 Likes

The art looks fantastic!

Congratulations on using coroutines, they can be intimidating at first.

Another good way to achieve that sort of effect with less coding (and no coroutines) is with animation and animations events, you might want to look into them for your next personal challenge.

2 Likes

ah thanks! I used animation events to make the slime stop/start moving when it hits the ground.

2 Likes

That reminds me of the first slime enemy I created, I did the same, I used animation events for the movement, I tried to do it with code but it was way too complicated for me at that time.

2 Likes

Hello, I hope you’re having an awesome day?! Your post really stood out to me, because, it looks very good. I did read your post but I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about, because, this is my very first day using Unity, all I’ve got today is successfully downloading unity. Now I have to study hard to understand how to make my 2D video game become a reality that people can play and download to their mobile phone. Although I’m completely new to Unity I have been studying for nearly 7 years now so I’ve got the assets covered, now, I need to learn how to use Unity and how to write code, quite a lot to learn but I love doing it. Regards, XXX Jess

1 Like

Hey Jess, good luck with the Unity and coding journey. I’m currently following the Unity 2D course here, so I was referring in the title to the “deathkick” effect from the episode I was working on. The instructor made an effect for when the player is hit by enemies. I took on this challenge to make the player flicker when taking damage, and for something like that which happens over multiple frames, I needed to learn how to use coroutines. I thought I was being very advanced, but actually the next episode after the one I did this was an introduction to coroutines! So that was pretty funny. Enjoy gettin ginto Unity! I’m finding it super fun.

2 Likes

Wicked dude! Like I said - I’m completely new to Unity, or in fact - any kind of coding but today I’ve got it all downloaded and installed. It’s a bit late today, but, tomorrow I’m going to jumpc in and make a start, I expect it’s going to be a pretty steep lerning curve - but - I love a challenge. Your work looks impressive, but I’m not sure what you’re talking about yet. Keep up the great work xxx jess

2 Likes

Thanks, Jess.
The biggest piece of advice I think I can possibly give you, as a fellow woman in this field, is: DON’T GIVE UP! Seriously. It’s going to look really intimidating at first, and you might have thoughts like I did back when I dropped out of my comp sci program in college. Thoughts like “I must not be technically minded enough.” or “I’m obviously not as smart as the other people doing this.” or “Clearly they got a head start on me that I can’t make up for at this point.” None of that is true. I promise. No matter how lost and overwhelmed you feel, I promise you that the other dudes doing it felt the same. They just kept going. Everyone doing this is not a mathematical genius. They just kept going even when it was scary and confusing. You absolutely can do this. Anyone can. So just keep going. Don’t fall into that pitfall trap of believing (like I did) that you’re made of any different stuff than the pros doing this.

1 Like

This is super cool. You have done a really good work on this. The player looks cute so does the enemy. background really matches the scene. As you had to collide with that little cute enemy several times to die, looks like you have implemented a health bar. That’s good too.

I wonder whether there are any magical powers or somethings like that, It would be great if this cute player had some magical powers or a wand. I love your work on the background, add some twinkling particles if you like, they will look like fireflies.

Just please don’t give up this, I remember me giving up developing a 2D game once, I made it so good and just gave up because I couldn’t realize a bug and now I know how to fix the bug but I dont have the game files. Hope you won’t get in that situation. You’ll do great.

1 Like

Thanks very much! Yes, I did implement a fireball spell for the player. I also intend to give the enemies the ability to shoot balls of acid that leave danger puddles on the ground. It’s going well, but to be honest, I don’t suspect my game will be very fun. I actually don’t like platformers myself, which makes it difficult to design fun levels. But that’s ok! I’m just focused on improving my art and learning as much as I can, challenging myself to implement additional features, like parallax background, one way platforms, and hazards with damage over time. It’s all for my dream project that I want to start when I finish this course!

1 Like

I never give up, lol. I - the same as anyone - get stuck, overwhelmed, frustrated and filled with self-doubt. I have a motto/mantra - " it’s made by humans, for humans to use - I’ll work it out! " lol. Thanks for your support, loves xxx jess

1 Like

Privacy & Terms