First Block Model

I am more used to doing courses in Udemy and am not sure if it is correct to post here. Anyway, here is my first Block Model. I am very new to game engines like Unity. I have dabbled with Godot and have a course started in it but found it very confusing. I am hoping I will understand game development better here.

I did notice a difference in my screen layout of Unity 2017.1.1 on my screen and the one in the lecture. I wondered why the lecture shows the Assets pane with the Prefabs listed before the Scene and on my screen the Prefabs are listed after the scene. I cannot grab and change their positions in the Assets panel.

Here is my Scene for this lecture.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Your scene looks fine to me. Which version of Unity do you use? Unity 2017 is already old, and Unity changed a few things. However, their tools have become way more easy to use. If something does not look exactly as seen in the video, try this approach: “How would I make this happen?” Then try to do it that way. I am sure that you’ll be able to make things work yourself.

And if you get stuck or have questions and cannot find any solution or answer, please feel free to ask here in the Q&A section. :slight_smile:

In your screenshot, it looks as if no game object was selected. I can see that because no object is selected in the Hierarchy, and the Inspector is empty. Select an object, then you will be able to move that object with this tool:

Did this help? :slight_smile:

See also:

I am using the same Unity version as is in the video. I did solve my question on order of things in the Asset window. My scene was named differently than what was in the course consequently, the order of things listed was different (alphabetical?).

Should I switch to the latest Version of Unity. I started with that and became a bit confused as to what was going on because my screen looked much different in starting Unity than in the lecture. Now that I have my feet wet so to speak, I will try the latest version and see if I can get things to work properly.

That’s up to you. Most students asking questions here use the latest version. If you are fine with looking up solutions (if necessary) and asking questions (if necessary), I would recommend to install the latest stable version of Unity 2020. You would be using the latest version, and you would learn how to approach typical problems of game development like software suddenly looking slightly different or behaving in a different way. You probably won’t encounter the latter here but we never know what the next update of Unity reveals.

A little tip in advance: If you use 2020 and you get to the Argon Assault section, watch the video with the Circuit but do not implement the Circuit asset. It is heavily outdated and won’t work well in Unity 2020. It’s just that one video, and the circuit gets replaced with the Timeline anyway in a later video. From my experience as a teaching assistent, that should be the only video which is hard to follow with Unity 2020.

Rick is currently remastering the 3D course but it might take a few months until he ships the new videos.

thanks, I’ll check it out

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms