Finished, and a 5 star review! Classic Single Player FPS Game Framework

Well, I began my first GameDev.tv (before it was called that) course on Unreal some years ago, when Ben was still filming from what looks like his attic. I struggled through learning UE4 (it does have a learning curve, and back then, UE4 was even more beta and harder to deal with than now with so many improvements) and made it to Testing Grounds which inspired me to try to write an FPS. I realized to make a good FPS (I wanted the old style Duke Nukem/Doom kind) I’d have to build a framework for it. I then realized, the framework itself would be a useful product. So…I experimented for a while, had some false starts and learning experiences, and eventually in March 2018, began in earnest to make the Classic Single Player FPS Game Framework.

A little over a year later, after a few more false starts where I decided “this is a mess, I’m using it as a guide to start over” I got a project going. I didn’t use a Scrum board or anything, just a MS Word file titled “TODO” and every time I realized something needed to be done, I’d put it in the file. Every time I finished something, I’d erase it from the file. (In retrospect, I wish I moved it to a “done” file to have a record! edit–I recovered it all from previous versions of the file, a Windows 10 feature) The file blew up to many pages, I started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when it went down to 4 pages, then just 1 page, it stayed there a while as I added and removed at roughly the same rate, and finally was down to a couple inches, and finally…complete!

Then a ton of testing, fixing, realizing a feature broke in the latest UE4, sending a bug report to Epic about it, waiting for the next version that fixed the bug and testing that the feature now works again, I published.

And I am happy someone thought it worth 5 stars!

I also have a trailer here:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms