FC_CPP: C++ Fundamentals - Introductions

Hi! My name is Dennis Hamilton and my gamer tag has been “orcmid” since I adopted it on CompuServe in 1979 :roll_eyes:.

My career in computing began before there was anything such as C or C++ or C/C++, sort how this course is situated.

In all of that 60+ years in computing, I wanted to be a game creator. I still have that urge, although I spend more time as a player of the current cinematic-quality games, although I just recently got into the Halo games now that they are available on Windows 10, and I am learning to use a game controller finally.

I am also in the process of transcoding a version of the original Colossal Cave Adventure game, the version published by Don Knuth in his book on Fun & Games. It fits perfectly in the nature of this course and I will find a way to invigorate that project as I continue the FC_CPP course.

I am taking this course because I enjoy Udemy courses, I am always interested in how software development is taught, and I need, as a retiree, to revive my skills for fundamental creation of games.

I am posting here because this introduction and other observations don’t fall properly into Q&A inside the course.

I meant this thread to be a place where other students of FC_CPP could introduced themselves also. It’s unclear whether there might be a better way to do that.

4 Likes

Hello Dennis! Welcome to the community. I am glad to hear you are a fan of cinematic like games and finally used to playing with a game controller. Lot of exciting games for you to play. How are you enjoying the course?

Hello. I am having some serious issues regarding getting my first program to run.

@FutureGameDev Andre, your folder C:\GameDevRaylibC++\vscode-template-master seems to be messed up. You also seem to have put your hello.cpp in some other place where it probably won’t compile. The error message you get is because there is no helloworld.exe at C:\GameDevRaylibC++\vscode-template-master\.vcode which is where the PS (Power Shell) is poiinted.

1. Delete the vscode-template-master folder. Go get vscode-template-master again. You can put it where the deleted one was.
  2. Don’t do anything inside that folder. Use it like a template for making non-raylib projects.
  3. To start a new non-raylib project, make a copy of your vscode-template-master and rename the copy to whatever you want, such as helloworld-project.
  4. Open VS Code on that helloworld-project folder. Then make your helloworld.cpp file in that folder. (Not in the .vscode folder there - don’t go down into .vscode.)
  5. You should then be able to use Template | Run Build Task … .

If this doesn’t make sense, ask more questions over in the Lecture 4 resource (tag 1b_fc_cpp here).

@Kevin-Brandon Hi Kevin. I have withdrawn from the course (but obviously not Gamedev.tv). We can talk about that over on the Discord if you like. I am orcmid#2924 there.

1 Like

Ok, will do :+1:

It didn’t work. Here is mine: Add me on https://discord.com/ so we can talk! My username is TheK-B1000#7923.

@Kevin-Brandon orcmid#2494 sorry about that. Apparently adult-onset-dyslexia :). I am back in the course too.

Privacy & Terms