Farm Buildings

Very very basic farm building models.

With image textures from personally taken photos of the real thing wherever possible. Some had to be tiled, badly. (Good enough for actual purpose) Well known satellite view as the plan to set up the scale and the blurrier rooves textures.

Having seen a few farm building beginners’ posts, I thought I may as well add this. Though it was created entirely so it could be printed out on card and cut, folded, stuck together as a papercraft entertainment for relatives. So it is rubbish as a 3d computer model, scene image, etc. very simple. Any detail is only on the images, the open ended barns not open really.

20 Likes

Woah! This can be on the Unity and Unreal marketplace! :100:

2 Likes

Great work and very believable. The shadow is for me a bit too harsh.
Curious how to transfer it to to paper. Are you using special UV-Maps?

1 Like

Wow, really awesome work.

1 Like

Shadows are a mix of what the map view had on them, actually they must have stitched two runs overhead together as the angle on the buildings and the shadows are different left to right side of the model. You can even see a double shadow, my lamp and the on eon the map. I only put in a sun lamp in roughly the same place as one part of the map image had. Lighting the model was irrelevant to my purpose. The export as a paper model uses materials, so there are no other bump roughness, specular, normal, maps used at all. Its a blender add on export option. Generates what must be specalised uv maps, bakes and produces the nets.

1 Like

I like this. I my earlier days, I built robots and spaceships with paper and cardboard. Draw, cut and paste.

I forgot you took real pictures. So real shadow.
Maybe remove the lamp and use only environmental light?
And render it, with transparency on, to remove or replace the environment.

1 Like

Very cool! Interested in seeing the paper foldables once you made them.

1 Like

Could definitely see it as a map for a game.

That sort of effect? Shadows left there are part of the map ground plane image.

4 Likes

Hopefully in time!

Relative has one of those paper cutting machines. Part of why I did these simple buildings as a test to see if we could get files that worked so that they can print the sheet then auto cut it out. Another reason why I have not gone to too much trouble with the tiled areas, its all part of a test of the process really. They did tell me just now they have cut one successfully, but messed up the scale somehow, but it is looking promising that it can all work out. Once sorted, it should be possible for me to make them any low poly style model of anything, and they can auto print and then cut it out ready to be stuck together as a model. Sadly lol they can work from home so not got the amount of free time many have right now.

Yes, It’s a fun idea to take photos and map them on mesh model of the object in the picture.
I miss some ground “bumps”, “foliage”, it has the same glossy, shininess …

Cutting machines are fun and they can draw too. Didn’t know they exist for consumers.
In my mind high powered plasma, laser burning through sheets of thick metal.

Look up Cricut.

@Marcello

Here you are.

Spent ages incubating the chick monster! Hair turned out well. :grin:

8 Likes

I’m loving this!

Brings me totally on new ideas.
Want to make a complete 3D Blender scene, buildings etc.
But with the little chick blend in as a real photo.

Somehow picture 1 and 3 works best.
You should explore more this idea!

Hahaha thank you. They look amazing! You absolutely nailed the positioning of that fabulously fabricated chick monster.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms