Fantasy castle - Details and Shading (WIP)

Continuation from Fantasy castle - first level of details

This will be multi-part post as this will take a long time to finish…

(Speaking from the perspective of person that never draw in his life, and started just before the course was released)

I find this part very difficult… jump from monsters and simple outlines to this is huge for me…
Maybe it would be good to insert 1 or 2 lessons in between that would build up to this?

Shading the ball was a good interim challenge, but I feel that’s not enough. I really felt overwhelmed even before starting hatching… If I wasn’t so stubborn I can imagine myself quitting the course at this point…

10 Likes

It might feel like a leap to go right into this piece, but you honestly did a good job. Especially for just starting. I think you should be proud.

5 Likes

I agree with the statement of doing this asignment feels very intimidating and that the jump feels pretty large. Its one of the reasons I’m actually stuck at this point of the course.
Both the increase in time spend and the difficulty of the asignment is a big step up.

Great job none the less!

2 Likes

It’s all about thumbnailing, learn to draw strokes, circles.
But it’s only human to want to create something beautiful, ecstatic …
But basically, we are learning how to use the tools, your hand, pencil grip, the feel of paper your eyes, how to break down objects into understandable parts.

It not about creating the best floating island. But hand-eye coordination. And that takes practise and practise. The same when starting with Blender. Using hundreds of cubes to make a castle wall. Or with the knowledge and insight, you have after finishing the Blender course.

Same for drawing 2D. Learn the basics, sharpen your skills in hand drawing.

2 Likes

Yes, Grant did emphasize it a few times… but there is the thing that I want to finish it… and the example given by him both looks like it should be achievable (just do basically more of the same) and looking good…

What might be good idea is to start learning hatching with one (or 2?) lesson before the castle - doing some designs on much simpler object. Like the sphere (which is there) than move to really simple house, and then on to castle.

But also that maybe just me as before starting the course drawing was one of the skills that I thought about myself that I can never learn… I bet that :leaf: team can observe the stats of when people ‘drop out’ of the course - and if it’s this stage - then maybe it’s worth considering the above…

3 Likes

It will take a while :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Oh @bOBaN this is really taking shape nicely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

… I’m slowly getting the hang of it…

Not much done, but some progress made…

6 Likes

thanks for the feedback on this and your honesty with how its working out for you. I’ll see what others say and consider putting some more into this section. Much appreciated.

It looks really nice what you have done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Progress update…

6 Likes

Damn I wish we had the option to add more than one “like” to a post. This has really turned out great. :grinning:

2 Likes

I just wanted to say , that your initial post mirrors exactly how I’m feeling at the moment and I’m relieved to see that I’m not the only one having these thoughts/issues.
I started this course with no drawing experience . The initial lessons are a good introduction to drawing. But jumping into what looks like a med to large piece is overwhelming to say the least.

Also I like to say , lovinging you really castle . Wish I could draw lines as straight and as accurate as yours lol

Keep up the good work

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

Same! Judging by what others are posting there are 2 groups of people doing the course: n00bs like us (we struggle a lot!) and people with experience in drawing (for them this section was easy / might even been boring). I guess it’s hard to tailor the course to expectation of both groups at the same time… :thinking:

It’s definitely large project - took me more than a week to finish (obviously not working 8h/day on it). For me it was worth it, but YMMV.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms