Facing Problems in The Pyramid Ramp in Blender 2.93

I have tried it multiple times and tried doing it both the ways as taught in Section 33 but every time I am ending up with the same problem. Need help in understanding what Geometry I am erring with. I am using Blender Version 2.93.0.

Edge Selection Method -

A) Selecting Edges

B) Edge Select - (Command) X + Edges

C) And all is gone (Every time this is the end result)

Extrusion Method

D) Extruded and Edge Selected

E) The top face remains every time

I am including the files (Google Drive Link) I have been working along of Yesterday and Today for your review.

1. Of 29.7.2021

The Pyramid Ramp_29.7.2021

1. Of 30.7.2021

The Pyramid Ramp_30.7.2021

Looking forward for the solution for my better understanding of the concepts.

Regards

Utpal

First of all, you pyramid mesh has some error.
Which are introduced in previous steps.
Nothing to worry about, but because of it, these steps explained in the course don’t work immediately.
Don’t see the tutorial as a step-by-step approach.
But try to learn what these commands do and how you can use them to manage the pyramid.

To me, the last image looks fine. as in a correct solution. Not sure what you mean by “top face remains the same”

1 Like

There is some odd extra face you have created somehow.

Very hard to work out how or when.

The second file has it too on one side but the other looks good.

No idea how you got left with those diagonal edges between the apex of two lower steps.

1 Like

This is what I am wondering, as this is highly unusual.

This diagonal is coming when I am marking simple command of I + 1 E + 1. There is no other command there. On the top I + 2 E + 3.

This is why I put up this question here. To get the understanding of this unusual behavior in Blender. Whether it has something to do with 2.93 version or something else.

I have been able to salvage though and am attaching fresh Pics here. If I am right here then the problem is rooted where the command of I + 2 E + 3 is being used in Blender 2.93. But why?

Side 1

Side 1 Transparent

Side 2

Side 2 Transparent

To faces remain the same, by this I mean that a face didn’t move as expected as in Pic E above.

Something is there apart from the steps and commands that are mentioned from Section 29 - Section 33. Something if we can detect will give us a broader concept and command in future.

I have attached some workaround Pic to the reply of NP5. It can be worked around manually but is not practical. So just want to know the errors either happening or being committed.

Trust, I have done at least 10 new models before posting the question, but in every single model it is this problem coming.

1 Like

As I said earlier, look at the techniques and the tools used. And work from that.
Bender isn’t exact maths. An outcome has many solutions!
And there is NO WRONG in Blender. If it looks good, your solution is good!
If it looks bad/wrong, then you need to fix it. How you do that, depends on the problem and work process.
The more experience the better the work process.

I do believe you if you say, I’ve done this ten times.
But with each Blender version, there are changes in the UI.
And maybe, you’ve missed a tiny keystroke in the lecture.
So the problem exists always.

Basically, the instructions are about working with vertices.
And those vertices are related to edges. And those edges are related to faces.
All those entities can be manipulated!
moving, scaling, deletion, rotating, copying, extruding …
At the beginning of learning Blender, you create a lot of unseen errors.
or adding mesh in an unusual way.
Difficult for us to say, give the command ‘xyx’ and it will be solved.

2 Likes

The key presses after selecting the step faces are E, enter. Then select the edges and snap them back. Not ‘i’. I just did it on a different side of your pyramid. No problems.

1 Like

‘I’ = i - meaning inset of a face.
‘E’ = e - meaning the extrusion (connected duplication) of a vertice(s), edge(s), face(s).

The ‘e’ command expects also the you move the extruded object, by mouse and or keyboard, like

ey2 - extrude, move along y-ax, 2 units (meters).

If your pyramid isn’t build around meters then you need to use other units.

The latest Blender versions, will extrude along the ‘normal’ ax of the face.

I did it all again and here it is

Seems No problem. Earlier I did E + Moving + Escape, may be that movement would have created some problem. But with this there still remains something to watch for.

This face does not snaps

1 Like

1 Like

This seems to be the root.

But I am not doing and I 0.5. I never did

1 Like

Whenever I am using the First Method it is the same result as seen in your pic. The ladder disappears.

1 Like

No, you didn’t. that’s my point.
These lessons are not a cookbook to make a pyramid. It will be a pyramid, but it can differ per person on how you do the top (and building).

I did it, just to show you how to get even 1x1m stairs. And some space in front of the building entrance.

The building starts at inset 1m. If you don’t do that like you did then you get different results.

Point Taken.

Just guide me on this point, why my stairs are disappearing as above.

Should I use Edge Dissolve instead?

In EDIT mode, just select the two edges, and press ‘f’.
‘f’ stands for make a face

repeat process. this is a bit different than the course.
There you select the most lower edge and the most upper edge.

In you last image the most lower edge was gone!
You can create an edge, by selecting two vertices and press ‘f’ - the previous face command, but it creates an edge instead.

2 Likes

Thanks a ton.

God Bless

1 Like

If you delete the edge, you break the face, the face is gone.

With dissolve Blender tries to keep the face, but it can introduce other problems, making a face with more than 4 vertices (called polygon, I mean Ngon). The output looks like a face and it is a face, but it is a none flat face (curved).

So ‘dissolve’ no!

2 Likes

1 Like

Got the point.

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Privacy & Terms