Do I need to normalize the overlap?

Hi,
When I create my overlaps, I get something very different from “ACTIVATED”/“DEACTIVATED” when walking on pressure pads. I’m wondering if I need to do some sort of normalization like we had to do with the vectors?

LogPhysics: Warning: (Invalid Normal from ConvertQueryImpactHit) Non-normalized OutResult.Normal from hit conversion: X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000 (Component- StaticMeshComponent /Game/ThirdPerson/Maps/UEDPIE_0_ThirdPersonMap.ThirdPersonMap:PersistentLevel.BP_PlatformTrigger_C_UAID_244BFEE08AE474DC01_1315285897.pressurePad)

LogPhysics: Warning: Start Loc(X=379.700 Y=1281.511 Z=42.155), End Loc(X=379.700 Y=1281.511 Z=-37.845), Hit Loc(X=379.700 Y=1281.511 Z=13.005), ImpactNormal(X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000) NormalPreSafeNormalize(X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000)

LogPhysics: Warning: (Invalid Normal from ConvertQueryImpactHit) Non-normalized OutResult.Normal from hit conversion: X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000 (Component- StaticMeshComponent /Game/ThirdPerson/Maps/UEDPIE_0_ThirdPersonMap.ThirdPersonMap:PersistentLevel.BP_PlatformTrigger_C_UAID_244BFEE08AE474DC01_1315285897.pressurePad)

LogPhysics: Warning: Start Loc(X=399.089 Y=1307.055 Z=32.212), End Loc(X=399.089 Y=1307.055 Z=-47.788), Hit Loc(X=399.089 Y=1307.055 Z=13.005), ImpactNormal(X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000) NormalPreSafeNormalize(X=0.000 Y=0.000 Z=0.000)

PlatformTrigger.h

// Fill out your copyright notice in the Description page of Project Settings.

#pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"
#include "GameFramework/Actor.h"
#include "PlatformTrigger.generated.h"

UCLASS()
class PUZZLEPLATFORMS_API APlatformTrigger : public AActor
{
	GENERATED_BODY()

public:	
	// Sets default values for this actor's properties
	APlatformTrigger();

protected:
	// Called when the game starts or when spawned
	virtual void BeginPlay() override;

public:	
	// Called every frame
	virtual void Tick(float DeltaTime) override;

private:
	UPROPERTY(VisibleAnywhere)
	class UBoxComponent* TriggerVolume;

UFUNCTION()
	void OnOverlapBegin(class UPrimitiveComponent* OverlappedComp, class AActor* OtherActor, class UPrimitiveComponent* OtherComp, int32 OtherBodyIndex, bool bFromSweep, const FHitResult& SweepResult);

UFUNCTION()
	void OnOverlapEnd(class UPrimitiveComponent* OverlappedComp, class AActor* OtherActor, class UPrimitiveComponent* OtherComp, int32 OtherBodyIndex);
};

PlatformTrigger.cpp

// Fill out your copyright notice in the Description page of Project Settings.

#include "PlatformTrigger.h"

#include "Components/BoxComponent.h"

// Sets default values
APlatformTrigger::APlatformTrigger()
{
 	// Set this actor to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.
	PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = true;

TriggerVolume = CreateDefaultSubobject<UBoxComponent>(FName("TriggerVolume"));
	if (!ensure(TriggerVolume != nullptr)) return;

RootComponent = TriggerVolume;

TriggerVolume->OnComponentBeginOverlap.AddDynamic(this, &APlatformTrigger::OnOverlapBegin);
	TriggerVolume->OnComponentEndOverlap.AddDynamic(this, &APlatformTrigger::OnOverlapEnd);
}

// Called when the game starts or when spawned
void APlatformTrigger::BeginPlay()
{
	Super::BeginPlay();

}

// Called every frame
void APlatformTrigger::Tick(float DeltaTime)
{
	Super::Tick(DeltaTime);

}

void APlatformTrigger::OnOverlapBegin(UPrimitiveComponent* OverlappedComp, AActor* OtherActor, UPrimitiveComponent* OtherComp, int32 OtherBodyIndex, bool bFromSweep, const FHitResult& SweepResult)
{
	UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("Activated"));
}

void APlatformTrigger::OnOverlapEnd(UPrimitiveComponent* OverlappedComp, AActor* OtherActor, UPrimitiveComponent* OtherComp, int32 OtherBodyIndex)
{
	UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("Deactivated"));
}

The code looks OK but check against the end of lecture code to be sure. I suspect it is a setting on the collision of the Blueprint that is the issue and the best way to find that is rewatch the video and check all your settings.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms