Do I need a repos for this course?

I’ve tried installing Sourcetree twice and the installation process doesn’t look like the course shows it. I’ve wasted too much time on this. Is it necessary to install a repos for this course? I’d prefer to leave it until I’ve finished the course.

You might find it useful, but I wouldn’t say it’s required.

The inconvenience to you for the most part, will be that you’ll have to download the entire version of the code in the projects for each lecture as a .zip file from GitHub in order to follow along with the course’s own source code updates - if you want to run them locally.

There’s not a way to effectively download just the incremental changes for each lesson without a git client tool.

However you’re not tied to using SourceTree anyway, there are a few other options such as:

Fork (https://fork.dev)
GitKraken
Github Desktop (I personally don’t recommend this, but others do, so it’s still a choice if it works for your OS platform)

You probably should also just get your issues resolved and use source control for your projects if you’re not already doing so. If you plan to take this venture anywhere, it won’t really be optional so embrace it sooner than later.

Thanks. My objection isn’t to repositories - I’ve used them in the past - but to Sourcetree. I use Atlassian products’ too, such as Jira, but for some reason Sourcetree would not install as portrayed in the course, insisting on making it a cloud-based service instead of local.

Hi Perrorist,

When installing Sourcetree, there are two options “Bitbucket Server” and “Bitbucket”. You have to select the latter. If Sourcetree does not work for you, it is perfectly fine to use an alternative because it is just a tool for visualising git. :slight_smile:

See also:

Hi, Nina. I did select Bitbucket. I might give it another try when I have more time.

No problem, I understand. That’s why I threw in some alternatives though because you don’t need to be stuck on SourceTree itself, there’s nothing about it from a git standpoint that the other tools couldn’t do for you just as well and it isn’t that hard to pick up on the differences in visual layout.

There is no cloud version of sourcetree though per se, it’s only a client. The Bitbucket Server vs. Bitbucket options are more about how you intend to use it.

I for example have sourcetree installed on some platforms that connect both to my own install of bitbucket, some local-only repos that aren’t stored remotely anywhere, and also some github (cloud) ones from the same client.

However you can expect some bias and preferential treatment in sourcetree directing you towards atlassian’s own hosting options.

The only other place that sourcetree may lead you astray is when it talks about installing and using it for “Hg” or “Mercurial”, which is a different kind of repository than a git based one. Stay away from hg/mercurial, no need to get drawn into those.

Good luck on your next try.

I did try again (three times in all) but still ended up in a mess. Strange considering I’ve worked with the infamous CVS as well as SVN and TortoiseSVN, which is the one I’ve elected to use for this course. Thanks for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms