Discussing the remaster

Whilst we are fleshing out the new features that fit into the existing course. We won’t be adding whole new topics into the course, maybe another course? Let us know here… https://community.gamedev.tv/c/other/ideas

any updates on the release date of section 6 remastered?

Hi Rj,

Thanks for asking.
We should have new content inbound very very soon!
Time to get going in blender again for me too as been over in a unity phase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward it!

2 Likes

Hello! I just finished the Blender 2.8 part of the course. I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this course and I’m really looking forward to the game asset pack section :smiley:

2 Likes

To quote Michael: “I’m looking forward to seeing your work over in the discussions…” :wink:

1 Like

Please lord Michael gives us the new section!
:pleading_face: :pray:

2 Likes

I second your plea :pray:

There has been a new vide release last week and we are due to start shipping 2 videos a week approximately maybe this week onwards :slight_smile:
There is still a few more lectures left for the animated lamp as we arent quite done with it yet :slight_smile:
More to come guys!

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! :smiley:
More lectures for the animated lamp are also great news! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been an awful long time with no information, update.

3 new lectures have been released today.
The intro slides may be incorrect so we are sorting that :slight_smile:

We are still working on this but this next subject was one that i struggled with the first time though so Mikey wants to make sure we get all the issues ironed out to make it the best experience possible as this at least for me is one of the most important sections of the course.

Thanks for your continued patience.

It might be worthwhile joining the discord server if not done so already, You can download the software OR use a web version from the link in the announcements on Udemy on the course or let me know if you need an invite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

28 days without any updates… Is there a problem?

The asset section was what I was looking forward to. I am trying to do a zombie game in a mansion, and I was hopping to do some of my own assets with the help of this course, but the long waiting is making this very, very difficult.

I apologize to ask so many times but when will be a new update? Will there be so long time between them?

About to dive into this course, thought I’d bump again to see how the rest of the course is coming along.

I’m mostly interested in the Game Asset portion which seems to already be completed and uploading, but the human head portion is interesting to me as well as I think it may blend in well when going through your character creator course.

Guess I spoke too soon, definitely hasn’t been finished yet for the Game Assets portion, any ETA?

Course chapters are more based of Blender aspects than for specific uses (Game assets).
Everything can be a game asset. But how to build them and to use all the aspects of Blender, that is whythere are different chapters. Low poly vs high poly, rigging, lighting, etc. all blender aspect handled in different lessons, all could be used to create game assets.

Just follow lessons, take part in the challenges and show your progress!

1 Like

There’s literally an entire section titled Game Assets, which looks to deal with things specific to game design, such as LOD levels, proper UV mapping, stuff like that, and those are the aspects I’m looking for.

I get what you’re saying, and I agree the practices I’m learning will be helpful throughout the modeling and design of Game Assets regardless of specific techniques for those things, but the initial video of the 2.8 section says they’re remastering the course and they expect it to take 4-6 months. That was in February of 2019, 11 months ago.

The last time an actual course instructor responded was in September, around when it should of been done. Since then it’s just been the TA with a few updates here and there. (Not bagging on the TAs, I think ya’ll do fantastic work in your generally quick responses on the other GDTV courses I’ve gone through). I just think a bit more transparency on where we are in the remaster would be appreciated, especially since we’ve all paid for the course.

Perhaps if they can’t answer that for some reason, they could answer this: Are the old videos still applicable? I assume while things may be in different places and the layout may be different due to blender versions, but the general feature sets and techniques would still be applicable, yes?

1 Like

I’m not part of GameDev!
But their main subject is game development and programming such. For games you need 3D content, hence Blender. I did the old Blender course with ten, eleven chapters. Each handling specific parts of Blender (LOD, UV-Mapping, Animation, conversion to Game Engines, texturing, project management, etc).
But all, in not to much explicit details. But enough to help you started in all aspects of Blender. And they do it in a very understandable way. Each chapter build on the previous ones. But the course is for starting 3D artists. Or people who want to learn the Blender UI.
But they learn also from feedback from users. Some chapters changed because the subject is too difficult at that point. Or time consuming (lots of render time). But also the new Eevee (game dev). This takes time.

If you use the old video’s you have the problem of learning old UI. But then old projects can be used in the new Blender. But need to learn the new UI. Which isn’t that difficult, but annoying. I understand your problem with the term “Game Assets”, that’s more commercial thinking in relation with their Game dev courses.
The same happend to me with the “Character - rigging” course they have. First chapters handled nearly the same subjects as in the Blender course (what is an edge, face, vertic, etc.) How to work with them.
In the last chapters it was more about armature rigging, animation principles. Using a simple puppet. I hoped to get more knowledge on handling more complex characters. Bone deformations etc.
This was also the case for their “Environment” course. Starting simple Blender related stuff. In this course they handled UV-mapping, texturing in a very detail way. I iked it very much.

Overall I learned a lot about Blender in general! And I am personally very content with GameDev courses. But there is some repetition and the focus lies on Blender beginners (in all aspects of Blender).

I would say, just begin the course. Take part of the forum, show you work, ask questions. Learn the basics of 3D. And grow on the path you have choosen.

I assume people know Mikey is no longer making the update?

A new instructor is taking over.

Which may explain the delays.

There has been an announcement about it but some may not have seen it.

True, Rick has taken over on this, the gamedev.tv roadmap is predicting to complete the assets section 2.8 upgrade by the end of February with the Bunny (sculpting) upgrade at some point thereafter. Since Rick is already working on a couple of other courses (Unity RPG) I guess that means that the Blender upgrade may not get upgraded quite as quickly as it might have been otherwise.

Privacy & Terms