Difficulty with auto complete using Xcode 9.2

I’ve just got to the point in this video with Sam’s edit about adding:

#include "Gameframework/Actor.h"

To the PositionReport.cpp file but unfortunately it hasn’t made any difference. Auto complete doesn’t work and a bunch of errors are shown:

This is using Version 9.2 (9C40b).

As a side note, I’m not a massive fan of Xcode generally. Is there definitely no way to use a different IDE on macOS? I am seriously considering dual booting this machine with Windows… never thought I’d say that…

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Well, it turns out that Unreal Engine 4.18 has support for using Visual Studio Code which I incidentally already have because I use it for quick code edits on my usual work, etc. so seeing as there’s official support for that, I’ll give it a whirl :slight_smile:

Well, VS Code seems to be working a lot better.

I do tend to think that this should be suggested as a viable alternative to Xcode. Xcode seems to be in a mess right now.

@sampattuzzi @ben any thoughts on this?

Yes, that’s fantastic.

Any particular learnings that you’ve had setting it up?

Ah I forgot to come back and update this sorry.

I ended up giving up on developing with either XCode or VsCode.

Ended up doing what I thought I’d never do and boot camp the Mac and run Windows on it. Visual Studio on Windows is miles better than either option on the Mac.

Dual booting is becoming frustrating though so I may need to revisit again and figure out what’s going wrong and work out how to sort the issues.

Oh one major problem was Intellisense in VsCode. It couldn’t find so many of the .h files (even some of the core CPP includes for things like < new >).

Even when those references were eventually fixed, intellisesnse was still incredibly flaky.

So, since writing the above, I’ve pretty much wiped my Boot Camp partition, and I’ve had a fair amount of success just using VsCode as is. There are times when the little red Intellisense flame icon gets stuck on, and it just gives up, but generally it’s just a case of closing and re-opening VsCode.

Either way, it works a lot better for the job than Xcode so it’s probably worth “promoting” it a bit more than XCode if you decide to re-edit the setup video/s.

Privacy & Terms