No IntelliSense in Xcode

Hi @ben and the rest of the community,

I am following along using Xcode but have run into a problem since we have begun actually developing with C++ and Unreal. My first problem is that none of the source files are listed in Xcode at all, instead the only way to see them seems to be editing via UE4Editior or opening the files via Finder. It would be nice to be able to see the files in Xcode as well, instead all that is displayed are the project files, shown below.

Secondly there seems to be (for me) a complete lack of type recognition or IntelliSense support as there appears to be in VS. Is this normal? For example types such as FString do not appear as formatted in a different colour to indicate that they are of a different type, and if I want to see a list of methods on the GetOwner() object, none of them come up, which makes developing along with this quite frustrating. Have I configured something incorrectly in Xcode?

The image should show the lack of formatting and that no property or method suggestions appear at all as I continue typing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m afraid Xcode really isn’t setup for C++, it does it but only just. It’s worth noting Visual Studio is coming to the Mac, but I don’t currently know when Unreal will support it.

I’m not sure how well it will work with C++ or with Unreal, but Visual Studio Code supports C/C++ and is currently on the Mac. I don’t use my Mac much except for testing things as I mainly do dev work on Windows, but this might be an option to look into for the Mac OS.

The the classes were written with the regular free version of Visual Studio or XCode in mind and would require rewriting the classes to make use of it and not sure that would occur or if it makes sense as again, I’m not certain it will work as I’ve not tried it for this particular purpose.

Quick search says it may (or may not) be possible:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?128822-Visual-Studio-Code-with-UE4

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Hey Gang,

If you are using Xcode and auto-complete is not working for you at all there is an issue with Xcode indexing header files located in the default install path that Unreal 4 uses which contains whitespace, for example:

/Users/Shared/Epic Games/

The two different workarounds for this issue are either:

1. create a symbolic link into a path without whitespace as described here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/590970/auto-complete-not-working-in-xcode-suspected-due-t.html

2. Or simply reinstall Unreal to a directory without spaces such as /Users/Shared/EpicGames/

If you create the symbolic link you will need to tell Xcode to reindex and the instructions for doing that are here:

https://blog.kida.io/how-to-reindex-your-xcode-4-5-projects/

You can also find more examples if this situation here:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/15248/code-completion-xcode.html#answer-604313

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! I reinstalled unreal with no space in the path and now xcode works just as good as visual studio!

Thank you! This fixed my problem.

I suspect that almost all mac users are running into this issue. I think it’s a good idea to add a video annotation to the setup lesson to cover this fix.

I was intrigued when I saw this, so I had to check:

I already have the directory without a space (and I don’t recall explicitly changing that…).

Last time I checked, Xcode was exhibiting indexing issues and was almost unusable.

If I hear of any other workarounds I’ll give them a try, but the last time I tried (again, should have been with the UnrealEngine name rather than Unreal Engine) it led me to create this thread:

I’ve since started using VsCode on macOS with Unreal and it works a lot better.

@chrisdeeming I just started looking at Visual Studio Code for Mac OS. I’m wondering if you found a solid guide for setting it up for Unreal, C++ etc.?

I haven’t found anything other than scattered forum posts.

I’ve installed the following plugins:

C++ (Microsoft)
C# (Microsoft)
MonoDebug (Microsoft)

…I believe it also requires an LLDB plugin but I’m not sure which one. I don’t see any from either Microsoft, Apple, or Unreal

Beyond that it seems like changes need to be made to some config file for header paths?

Any pointers to a step-by-step to make Mac/Unreal a workable set up are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Privacy & Terms