Difficulties with VS Code Hotkeys

Hi, I’ve been having a spot of trouble throughout the course with VS Code, but til now I’ve been able to find workarounds. In this lecture, I’m asked to hit ‘CTRL + .’ to bring up an extract option, unfortunately it just brings up a ‘Surround With’ menu instead. I’ve checked that my hotkeys are set to the defaults, installed the SPK, and can’t seem to find any other possible solutions. As well, I’ve noticed my VS Code doesn’t autosuggest code as it seems to in the tutorial. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Hi shaebae,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Please follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

If the issue persists, please check the console of VS Code (not Unity!). If the .NET Framework 4.7.1 (Developer Pack) is mentioned there, download and install it from the official Microsoft website. Here is the link: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net471

Also go to Edit > Preferences > External Tools (in Unity) and click “Regenerate project files”.

Did this help?

See also:

I followed all these steps, and did notice that the incorrect version of the Visual Studio Editor package was installed, but on updating that I’m getting a new error, that VSCode can’t access the .NET framework, which is installed. I’ve tried reinstalling it, and get the same error.

Install and use Visual Studio (Community Edition). For some students, VS Code simply does not work well. Maybe due to a problem with Unity, some update or whatever.

1. Download VS and follow this instruction.
  2. Select VS as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools).
  3. Install the “Visual Studio Editor” package in the Package Manager.

That should work.

What OS are you using?

I use Linux and almost none of the hotkey commands are the same.

It might have something to do with your OS.

It really seems like you might not be running Windows like Rick is.

I get those same .Net errors all the time on Linux. I ignore them.

If you’re running a Linux distro, you can probably ignore them.

Privacy & Terms