Diary of Modular assets

On to a fresh subject , Modular assets.
First off are the barrels created following along with the video lecture.
Then I decided to make a second set , increasing the number of segments . adding in additional iron bands and finally adding in cork bungs.
This required some additional fettling on the iron bands, as when they were extruded then scaled they didn’t come out parallel. So I had to select the loops and manually drag them up or down as required.

I finally rendered them out using the workbench engine as I’ve not added materials to either the barrel or the band yet.

7 Likes

Continuing the modular assets theme, onto the crates.
First I created the same crate as show in the lecture,
Then I changed two of the crates to long crates , by just scaling the z axis x 2. This does mean the groves look bigger , which can be fixed by moving the loop cuts up or down as needed , OR a better method would be to scale the crate before adding the loop cuts and bevels. This just goes to prove the advantage of planning your assets before you create them lol
Finally a scene of a mix of crates and barrels.

4 Likes

As I suggested in my last post , I decided to go back and redo the long crates.
So not only did I scale the z x 2 before I added in the loop cuts and bevels , I also took the time to add a loop cut and bevel in the middle , which i then extruded out to look like a middle support plank
Hope its visible in this workbench render.

4 Likes

Looking good and to the modular low poly style.

On to the pillars, Designed 3 different pillars
1 has a square cross section
2 has an octagonal cross section
3 has a hexadecimal cross section with a barrel inspired column
Next stage will be to add character to them

5 Likes

And adding some character to the pillars , with some randomization thrown in as well
I’m liking the red clay , makes it easier to see what’s been modelled before the materials are added.

4 Likes

Good progress! I like “journal” type threads :slight_smile:. Keep going :slight_smile:

Carrying on the diary entries,
Here are a couple of walls with a mix of pillars
With the walls added I much prefer the octagonal pillars to the square ones.
ALTHOUGH , I can see that at the corner, the pillar disappears. So I may need to thing the gap for the wall down, OR have square pillars in the corner and octagonal ones along the straights.

5 Likes

Continuing the Dungeon Masters toolkit , I have made a doorway.
Added some embellishments , knocks and dings for character.

4 Likes

A few days of rest and I was back to it ,
Created floor tiles , loose tiles , torches and a treasure chest .
Here is a quick speed run through the few rooms and corridors .
Just to show what’s been done so far.
I cant wait to add materials and textures to the various assets.
I’ll keep up the diary style entries , as I think it shows the ‘journey’
taken,

3 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Okay , so I’ve been working with texture atlas and colour slots and this is what I have so far.
Also added emission to the torches and increased the strength

1 Like

Another shot from a different angle , also I changed up the colours of the floor tiles>
Where originally all 4 squares were the same colour , now Im using 2 colours , matching
squares on the diagonal

4 Likes

That’s really impressive!!!

Thank You ,

I have to say initially it took an absolute age to colour the walls , selecting each individual stone the scaling it and chosing a colour. But as with most things , it became quicker the more I did.
Im currently going back over the the colouring as I realised I dont need a new map for the barrels and another for the crates and chests , so I have more than halved my materials

3 Likes

And finally , the finished dungeon.
Torches have emissions on , BUT as the lecturer said , Eevee is more akin to a game engine ,
so have switched to rendering in Eevee and added point lights at each torch.
Had great fun with this module , BUT I wish i had been shown how to add additional character to the dungeon, like adding blood stains to the floor, moss on the walls, soot stains around the torches, fingers crossed , this will be something addressed in a later lecture.

2 Likes

Looks great! Where’s the entrance/exit to it though? :sweat_smile:

I really enjoyed reading your diary going through the section! :+1:

1 Like

shhhhh , no one was supposed to notice the missing entrance/exit lol

Thanks for the comments , Ill be starting a new diary this evening entitles ‘Furry Heads’
the mind boggles lol

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms