Dialogue system

Thanks for comprehensive tutorial so far. I have one question, it looks really complicated. I am about to start creating my dialogue system for ma 2D game, is this structure really needed? At the beginning I thought it would be much easier to implement this. I thought to have some dialogue manager and trigger is what you only need. Could you please give me an explanation why it is worth it to go with your solution? Or base on what I should I decide what is better? I am creating 2D top down game, by the way.

In the case of our Dialogue system, it’s really not terribly important what the underlying game style is. Once you start in with a dialogue, what’s going on under the dialogue window is not terribly important. We did it in the context of our RPG project as this course was a stretch goal from that original kickstarter.

You’re quite right, it is a fairly complex system, but once you have it set up, you’ll find it easily ports itself into other games quite easily. The trickiest part is working through creating the DialogueEditor. If you have any issues along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms