Dialogue System with Variables

Hello.

I am following along the Unity Dialogue & Quests tutorial and I am around 31% done through the course.
However, I will in the near future have to work on a dialogue system that will have to account for external factors.
One of the systems that was discussed for instance was having the dialogue options at least partially change according to the standing the player has with the person they are talking to, as well as changing according to their previous history with the player.

My question is, will this kind of approach with Scriptable Objects work under these circumstances?
The way I could see it working would be to have additional fields for your likability and special events that unlock certain pieces of dialogue, but I am not sure if at that point it would just be easier to stick with creating a simple script that holds a list of the pieces of conversation, then creates a composite text according to the context.
It could be that I’ll figure this out as I go forward with the course but I figured it would be nice to check if someone has an idea on which approach would be better to take.
Thank you for your time!

Towards the end of the course, we’ll be working with Conditions, a very flexible system that will allow you to create conditions to select the correct dialogue branches based on just about any factor you can think of (with a bit of coding to test for those factors).

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms