Dell G15

Hi Guys, I will add another 8 GB ram do u think this will be good enough for more complex projects ?

2 Likes

I am no computer expert, but I suspect it is fine going by the graphics card, it is a fairly recent generation if still the low end.

However, it will depend on how complex you want.

Unless you really need it for wider than Blender uses a laptop is not as good as a desktop.

Odds are there will be better informed people here able to give an informed view.

This is Blender’s requirement page.

3 Likes

If you are sure that you want to go into this blending stuff, I would suggest not going with a laptop. It doesn’t matter what graphic card or how powerful the CPU the laptop has, if you are working with Blender, it is going to be a heavy task for your laptop, and even if the laptop is capable of handling complex projects, because of the laptop’s poor cooling system, it will cause many heating issues. I would recommend building a custom PC as per your budget. And the best strategy I can give you right now is to build an APU build to get a head start on blender stuff. (You will be able to easily build an APU system for much less than a full system build). And after 3 or 4 months, you could purchase a high-end graphics card (3060 or 30060ti). All this stuff, including graphics cards, will cost you around 25000 EGP. It also depends on the specs of your APU build. The performance will be almost two times better than the laptop you are planning to buy. I hope my suggestion will help you.

3 Likes

Thank u very much … I know the desktop much better than a laptop but the problem I need the laptop to I can watch lessons and make things outside in the rest times in my full time job

1 Like

You need memory to handle large projects or projects with a lot of sculpting done.
I use a laptop and for sure you can do all challenges with it.
But some students get excited and do more than required. That your hardware gets in trouble.
And even a high-end computer will have a maximum.

Memory is needed for modeling. Less for rendering (But still part of it).
Blender needs CPU AND GPU. It all depends on your projects. The CPU is needed to do math things, like material nodes. While GPU will use the output of the CPU to do its thing.
Just go along with it. If you like 3D development and going to be more professional then you are many years underway and have enough time to buy very specific 3D hardware.

I must admit a fast computer makes Blender shine. But I have a 9-year-old laptop, 16GB, Simple GPU card, using Ubuntu, Intel i7 2.7MH and I do all the challenges here on GameDev.

2 Likes

Before buying a computer for Blender, I recommend Grant Abbit’s video: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Buying a Computer for Blender - YouTube

He does recommend AMD processor and nVidia RTX graphics card, which your screenshot laptop has. I have a desktop with Ryzen and RTX that seems to do well in Blender.

My specs, for what it’s worth (remember, it is a desktop, not a laptop, though):

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core, 32-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

• Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 (AMD Ryzen 5000/B550/ATX/M.2/HDMI/DVI/USB 3.1 Gen 2/DDR4/ATX/Gaming Motherboard)

• PNY GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB XLR8 Gaming Revel Epic-X RGB™ Triple Fan Graphics Card

• Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black

• Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to 3,500 MB/s - WDS100T3B0C

• Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2X NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)

• WindĐľws 11 Pro USB | English | 1 PC | 2022 Version | New

• Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case - Black

• (power supply and additional disk drives taken from previous machine).

1 Like

Oh and a little trick. I went to multiple “computer build” websites and had a system auto-designed. Then checked Amazon and NewEgg for equivalent parts. Amazon was cheapest (with prime, since shipping was free). + $200 to get the local computer tech to build it for me (I had him look over the parts list before ordering, to make sure it would work), and done, a little cheaper than any of the website systems (having a power supply and hard drives from previous system did help).

2 Likes

Thank u my friend

Thank u bro

Thank u

It is a real nightmare, trying to decide on parts, I badly need a new machine. Waiting on the new generation of graphics cards. The configure it yourself sites only half help, still restricted to what they have or prefer to do.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms