Deciding How to Mix Materials

I got totally lost on this one and had to watch the solution before having another go, my final piece is a little convoluted but I like the “feel” of it,

4 Likes

It looks good.
How is your CPU performance with material nodes?

rocking a r5 3600 so its nice and snappy as long as i dont go to mad with the pollys. gonna upgrade too 32 gig ram asap.

omly thing thats a pain is that though my vega 64 has a lot of grunt i can only use it to render with 2.8 as 3.0 dont use it any more.

1 Like

That is a pity!
Not all data, created in 3.0 can be used in 2.8 version. Bone related data.

2 Likes

I really like 3.0s interface. dont understand why they stopped allowing use of gcn(older amd) cards

1 Like

I think, it has to do with the new Cycle X render engine.

1 Like

The Vega 64 is such a powerhouse. I have mine water-cooled and overclocked and it punches way above its weight. I don’t want to have to spend a grand on a current-gen equivalent just for blender.

Oh it is an AMD card, not really what people recognise. AMD and Apple are working with Blender to try and make their hardware work better, I think the first result of that is due out in version 3.1.

1 Like

works fine in 2.8

1 Like

Version 3 updated Cycles in particular to a completely new version. Long, a year or so, referred to as CyclesX. Which may be the root of your problem. Try the later 2.9 pre 3 versions of Blender?

will do. ill stick to 2.8 while doing the courses as they are written with that in mind

I notice you have done the low poly enviroment course. im planning to do it after this one. Im not really here for game dev im learning blender in the hopes of making illustrations for books or maybe make animations.

how did you find it? love your floating cottage

1 Like

That course is pretty simple. See all the others that stuck to the course style house. I think the most you learn from it is how simple things can be got away with. Any course I find can have an ‘Oh I did not know that shortcut’ moment though. Illustrating in a low poly style it may be useful, animation I suspect not. It is a ‘bite sized’’ course not as comprehensive or remotely as demanding as the Complete Beginners Blender one.

I have the Complete Blender Creator 2.8: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners course to do and looking forward to it. but for some reason, i chose environments first so I can mockup,

Low poly should work ok for me. I mostly write pre-schooler and early years stuff

1 Like

Then that low poly will serve well as an introduction, and the full beginners course will take you on from there.

That is interesting, early years books. Though I am older and find modern children’s books ‘childishly’ illustrated compared to the Beatrix Potter or Winnie the Pooh. Seems there is some new assumption children can’t cope with anything not simplistic and gaudy! Like their little brains would explode if shown realistic drawings/paintings, or now renders!

I’ve written a few episodes of “Pablo” about an autistic child which is shown on CBeebies in the UK and netflicks. and also written a book called "the cats of Charnwood forest " which is more old-style children’s fantasy. i too am a fan of pre-war children’s storytelling

1 Like

Privacy & Terms