Blender v3.x and go back to 2.9.x

Never had I this issue before. Working on an older version of Blender while, the mesh was created in a newer Blender version.

I have two laptops Win7 and Ubuntu. I can not install Blender v3 on Win7 (not supported). So I use V3 for rendering on my faster Ubuntu and V2.9.# for development on Win7.

But Blender v3 files can be loaded into v2.9 but with loss of data as I experienced at this moment. Bone-related mesh data is gone …
Meaning, I can not fiddle on V3 without damaging the file structure for v2.9.x

1 Like

Looks like it’s broken and won’t be fixed.
Vertex Group data is stored differently between 3.0 and any previous versions:

Someone has a workaround, but I don’t fully understand their wording about linking the objects from and to versions. This is from 3.0 to 2.9, not the other way, but it should still work the same/similar if you can figure out what they mean:

2 Likes

Yes, I do link object from other files. So basically the external Linked file is not changed (obvious).
But the way it’s stored in the v3 .Blend file.

1 Like

So after the link, that Relocate function would translate the vertex groups or preserve them?

1 Like

Not sure.

1 Like

OK, I’ve downloaded, but not installed Blender 3, so not sure if what I’m about to suggest will work, but … I’ve noticed when trying to open some of my older .blend files from 2.79 in 2.93, I have to “append” them or I can’t do any editing to the file in 2.93. I’m assuming the same was true for 2.8, though I skipped that version altogether.

Whether that will work with Blender 3, or not, is just my guess at this point.

2 Likes

First instance I have heard of this BUT it was always said the version changes 2-3, 3-4, etc, will allow new stuff to ‘break’ with the old. So I guess this is an example of it.

Clearly, in your situation of using two versions across that divide, it can be a problem.

Thanks to @Digitz for the info.

The workaround seems obvious. Make and keep a version dependant save of each file. That of course will not help FedPete’s issue!

1 Like

Probably at some point there will be a person smarter than I that creates an add-on to convert rigs/vertex groups from 2.x to 3.x.

1 Like

I adjust my procedure.
Don’t fiddle old projects on 3.0, until saved under a new version.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms