Ctrl + ' not doing anything

I used the keys Ctrl + ’ and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I am using Visual Studio and on the right side of the screen after clicking it the window says Connect | Offline. and Manage Connections. I am signed into my Microsoft Account and there is a section of this error that says Connect so I tried to add a server but I dont see a dedicated Unity Server when I google it.

It is saying I am offline

1 Like

That shortcut looks like its pointing to the microsoft community as opposed to the unity help files, you can change it tho.

Have a look at a post i wrote a while ago over on unity forums that might help, i havent updated it in a while, but it might give some pointers

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/getting-ctrl-to-work-within-vs.372584/

2 Likes

Thanks OboShape

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: Did that help any? if it dd I’ll get it written up again and tested with the new version of VS and pop it up here somewhere.

where you reckon @Rob, just stick with this thread as its well titled and searchable, or see if Lucy will pop it on the Blog?

2 Likes

No harm in doing both… could do main write up here, then a mini blog pointing to here for the full version? :slight_smile:

…and thank you Darren :slight_smile:

1 Like

K heres the original posting, just to keep it local to this forum thread, i’ve just read that this was tested a couple of days ago and seemed to work ok with the current versions ( as of start of Dec 2016)

(Step 1) Firstly, as you probably have done already if using visual studio, is to set VS as your script editor of preference.
within Unity if you go to Edit > Preferences , then External Tools…, and select your editor of choice from within the External Script Editor dropdown.

if you now open a script that you have in Unity, this should launch Visual Studio with your script open.

(Step 2) What we need to do now is to check that the Help.UnityAPIReference library is installed within VS.
Within Visual Studio, if you go to Tools > Options.

(For users of Unity 5.2 and up, these Visual Studio 2015 Tools should already come as part of the installation.)

within the options window that opens, from the left hand side listings, under the Environment group, select Keyboard.

you will now see on the right, some keyboard mapping options.
To check that the API reference help is installed, enter ‘Unity’ in the ‘Show Commands Containing’ text entry box. you may see something like the following.

if you see the Help.UnityAPIReference there, great, skip to Step 4, otherwise Step 3 will show you how to get this installed.

(Step 3) installing Microsofts UnityAPI helper libraries if you dont have them.
Microsoft have supplied these Visual Studio Tools for Unity at the following URL.
Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Unity (be aware that there are separate downloads for different VS versions)
follow their notes for installation, and have a read of the section pertaining to Unity 5.2+ users.

(Step 4) relaunch a script from Unity to load up Visual Studio and go back and open the keyboard mappings as shown in step 2 to bring the window back up.
re-enter Unity in the ‘Show Commands Containing’ box on the right, and select ‘Help.UnityAPIReference’.

To allocate the CTRL + ’ shortcut that you are familiar with.click your mouse in the ‘Press Shortcut Keys’ box. this should now have focus with a blinking cursor.
Now press your key combination that you want. ie press CTRL and the ’ key together, and this shortcut key combination should show in that box. if it shows the combination you want, you can click on the Assign button and this will map the keys to that APIReference help.

Now if you close that window and return to your script, the CRL+’ shortcut will now bring up the API Reference like you are used to within MonoDevelop.

The only thing that you will notice now, is that it doesnt open in your external browser window, but in a visual studio tab. if you like it this way, great, job done.

If you would like this to open in an external browser window then do the following within Visual Studio.

select Tools > Options, scroll down to find Tools For Unity, select General.
in that window, you will see an option for Documentation, you can now change the option there for Use External Browser to true and then press OK to return to VS. like below.

This should work just like Mono does now with regards to the scripting search, hope that helps someone out.

Again, any issues with this, let me know and I’ll attempt a fresh install with the latest versions to test again and update.

3 Likes

There’s actually a way to do this by default, at least in VS2015. Click on the item and then press Ctrl + Alt + M, and then Ctrl + H. This should bring up the reference for the selected item.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn940020%28v=vs.140%29.aspx

2 Likes

Thank you very much , was working on it for couple of days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms