Creating our own abilities

So I have an idea for an ability, I just am not sure where to start or where to get inspiration from (from some of the other ability effects and whatnot).

So what I want is for the player to shoot a short conal wave out in front of them, and after that animation is done, it leaves stuff on the ground that damages enemies in it, and heals players that are in. The conal wave would do an initial spike of damage.

I’m unsure which of the ability resources we already created to kind of look at to manipulate. At first I was thinking Directional targeting, but I can’t come up with the effect. Would it be a projectile? That seems a little weird, and I’d have to somehow mix the projectile, AOE wave, and some kind of damage over time.

Any thoughts on this would be fantastic.

Use a mesh collider and assign a cone shaped mesh to that collider, set to be a trigger,
Have ontriggerenter deal damage the initial damage,
and ontriggerstay deal the dot damage and heal.
From the ability instatiate the cone shaped object with ontriggerenter/ontriggerstay,
I often child an empty gameobject to the player, so i can set easily where something will instantiate,
then instead of player transform, use the new game object transform location to spawn the cone
in front of the player, and then have the cone destroy itself after X sec.
you could have 2 animations on it, one that plays on awake, for the initial cone ability,
one that starts like after a second, for the area on the floor.
This is just quickly how i think i would do it.

You should probably change the tags of your questions to RPG, or add.
i think Brian missed them now, he is the man with the knowledge.

I appreciate the response! It’s tagged in the shops & abilities course so it should be tagged appropriately. I’m sure Brian is probably just busy or something.

Once I get a chance I’ll give your solution a shot, though!

1 Like

It’s tagged correctly (shops and abilities) and @RustyNail has described an excellent outline for the solution to your issue (well done!).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms