Course is getting very complicated towards the end

So lerping and slerping makes sense. I was able to really understand everything up until the refactoring. This is not against the instructor, just some of this goes by way to quick and I am more focused on just trying to get the code to run than understanding. So I think like other comments I have seen throughout this course is I am just going to have to go back and just listen and actually pay attention to the inbetween bits. Because right now at a basic level I get that the client is receiving controls from the action mapping, and then that is sent to the client which gets sent to a list of move structs to be replicated on the server and then the server takes in those commands and replicates them to both the client and server and all the inbetween bits of dealing with lag and understanding the code fully is where I fall off. So surface level I get it. But I haven’t been able to complete a challenge on my own since after half way through the course. Thats on me 100% so yeah. Just trying to say that if you’re like me, this course is very dense and very complex for someone who is just starting to understand c++. At this point even a bulk of the sudo code is confusing and just trying to make sense of it all is a struggle.

3 Likes

It is a really tough course and definitely isn’t for beginners. It took my third attempt at the course and going back through the original C++ course before I managed to get through this. This is with 20 years experience with the language. The theory is tough.

Just take your time and rewatch as needed.

2 Likes

I have been struggling as well. I have a decent handle on C++ (I have a lot of experience with C and a little using C++ so it wasn’t too much of a leap to get into UE programming), so that hasn’t been much of my issue. I do get lost in some of the details, especially when something gets handled by the UE automagically. Some of these lectures have taken me hours to understand, and that’s fine. I’m treating it like a college course where the lecturer presents the info, suggests something to try, and then presents a solution. If we still don’t get it, it’s on us to reach out and ask for help or dive a bit deeper. Luckily, 90% of the time I do have a problem there’s someone else in the comments that had the same problem, so the active community has been helping. I’ve also been trying to add my own insight if I discover something others might find interesting.

All that said, I definitely don’t feel ready to dive in and make my own multiplayer game right away after taking this course, and I don’t think Sam or anyone at GameDev TV would expect that either. I’m going to keep my work as a reference and will absolutely need to come back and rewatch some parts of this course, but that’s just how learning something complex goes. What they’ve given us is a toolkit with everything necessary to jump off on our own and make something, but we’re going to need to get some experience with those tools before becoming proficient. Experience comes with time and learning from mistakes, both of which will require a lot of effort on the student’s part after taking the course.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms