Course Idea: Music Making

I would LOVE to learn how to make music!

Any kind of music.

Ideally, you could focus on game music: atmospheric, character theme, fighting, city, nature… BUT…with the ability for the student that has finished your course to make any style he wants.

Linux Multimedia Studio or Fruity Loops or Cubase or whatever YOU deem most worthy.

Oh man, if you taught me how to express the music I hear in my head…wow…

oh yeah, so…not just robotic recreating what you do in the tutorials, but like…to be able to put anything from our heads onto the .mp3 file to send to our buddies on fb or gamedev.tv :smiley:
…any tune we know how to whistle. And with any sound we know how to make (guitar, or something not yet existing).

In short: the ability to create any kind of melody played on any kind of ‘instrument’.

Thank you for considering.

You rock my world, Ben <3

p.s. check it

11 Likes

Might be outside of the skillset of the instructors here. Theres some courses on Udemy for it, but I should probably warn you that becoming a musician is a skill that takes years to achive if you want to be useful at it.

I’m a musician thats been learning for 35+ years, since I was a child, and despite being formally trained the hard way in classical and jazz, running a studio, doing commissions as a composer and so on, I still think I’ll never know everything I need to know to be truly where I’d want to be. Hell, even great masters like Mozart, Frank Zappa or Charles Mingus (To name a few) all felt they still had more to learn.

THAT SAID, theres nothing stoping you from trying! The point in learning an instrument where you can make the sound in your head magic out your fingers is a bit of a magical one. Its like at some point your spinal chord can tell the brain “Chill bro, I got this” and it becomes automatic. The only way to get there is practice, and training the subconscious to make that conversion.

*psst: hire me

2 Likes

I had a great time generating my own tunes recently as a total beginner. I never had a midi-keyboard before, but being able to explore it without being judged by surroundings was vital. Having headphones on. When it came to recording however, without having what I made memorized and without being able to know what to create on desired command made it a bit trickier. That ontop of my software freezing up with certain plugins.

But, otherwise I had a good time and will be returning to the existing udemy course on this. I wouldn’t try to scare people into thinking they won’t be any good. Understanding how to make whatever music you would like on command, is a different story, unless it is within the range of what you have a feel for, basically improvise it the whole way.

Hmm, its interesting to note that you said even Mozart and others thought they had more to learn. I wonder in what regards you are speaking. I often find there are notes and chords that simply do not exist, and have always wondered whats necessary to make that desired sound in my head. I figured with enough knowledge of how guitars and amplifiers and ect worked would reveal some of it at some point. All this is stuff I never quite had the right opportunities to learn. I am able to generate almost any desired note using the hardware around me to drum on it, so I’m wondering why it isn’t possible to do this with any instrument.

To be clear , when I say “To be useful” i really mean “To be viable as a professional”. Theres absolutely nothing stopping a beginner musician from making their own music of a professional quality. Rather what I’m getting at is the skillset of Professional composers is that they often have barely weeks to score hours of full orchestral music, with extensive ‘craft’ experience, and the ability to guarantee to clients the job will get done , on time, and of appropriate quality.

Thats fantastic that your making progress on it. I once had a guitar student who at 16 could play like a dead ringer for Jimmi Hendrix, despite the fact she didnt even know the names of her strings. Self belief is hugely important for creative development, and sometimes people just ‘get it’.

Regarding chords, there really isn’t any chords that ‘dont exist’, but there are more complicated and more dissonant chords and knowing when to use them is a combination of black magic and music theory. The core of it is that chords are largely derived from the harmonic sequence of a note, somewhat helpfully on odd numbered degrees of the scale (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,etc). As you go around that sequence, you’ll eventually encompass the entire cycle (Ie 9 is a 2, 11 is a 4, 13 is a 6, and so on, and sometimes these can just be refered to as a 2 4 or whatever, but I prefer to stick to the odd number series when trying to conceptualize whats happening), however the further you get from the 1 in the odd number series, the more dissonant it gets. The central idea is that these bits of added color are there to reinforce components of scale important to the melodic pallete. This might be important also if your working outside the standard major or minor modes. So take for instance a Lydian mode which is often used as an epic sounding version of the major scale in film scores, You’ve got a sharpened 4th in there. You could ignore it, or you could use a Cmaj7(#11) chord, or possibly a Cmaj7No5#11. Weird chord, but used smartly it (For instance in a film score getting some horns to fill in a slightly muted sharpened 11th alongside the brighter major components) and you’ve got something huge. Theres also a few of the oddball scale chords as well, like the Tonal scale chords, and so on. Again its just about picking the theoretically appropriate colors to pain your picture.

If you can play guitar , I strongly recomend getting a good book on Jazz chord and scale theory. The jazz guys are absolute pros with this stuff. The Jazz guitar training I had taught me far more than I ever got out of my classical piano training in terms of bridging theory to creativity. Oh and fun fact: In jazz you get to improvize in every damn song. Even the bassist.

2 Likes

Also theres absolutely nothing wrong with centering sound track making around the guitar. My favorite sound track of all time was Neil Youngs genius work on Dead Man. Its an incredibly expressive instrument.

Also this: https://www.jamorigin.com/ lets you drive midi sequences from a guitar, and it works shockingly well.

We’ve talked about it internally quite a bit as I’m a musician :slight_smile:

If you guys can make enough noise about it there is a good chance we will teach it. :grin:

9 Likes

I support this idea. I really expect a good introduction level course about sound effect and music making for game development.

2 Likes

Holy cow seriously? I did not know that about you that or i clear forgot!
Is there anything you cant do? 3D modelling, RPGing, now music (I learnt to mix so i get beats and loops sort of).
Its like having another best mate in another room lol

That aside this as a student is something i would like to see as although i have stated i know beats and loops the furthest i got was rave ejay (Yuck) and fruity loops my friends did and i looked at much the way i looked at the blender UI when i first saw it. I was literally scared to press anything!
I think this is another of those free software programs are overwhelming and nobody wants to learn from paid software especially a monthly subscription one as then its like paying twice for your learning.

I think this would tie in nicely with the RPG course, Not as in part and package but much like the GIMP course being released as you need UI elements for the RPG the same being with the second part of the RPG course.

Just my 2 cents :smiley:

1 Like

Haha I remember eJay!

Yeah it’s something I’ve always enjoyed yet have lacked the time to do so am excited if I get the opportunity to teach you all :-).

Yeah not great at coding… Yet :rofl:

1 Like

hehe had both the Dance and Rave Ejay CDs back in the day.

Would love how to get the basics under my belt, stared using LMMS the other week just to get simple choons for Jams etc.

2 Likes

That would be great as anyone could always find some time to implement the diverse skill of music production.

Mike’s take on it could prove valuable in general or over the existing one on udemy, in particularly having experience with game engines and that engineer’s make-work mentality xD would be interested to take this one over the one I have temporarily put on hold for other work.

I really like the Idea. Even I was in a College Band myself :smiley:
I have basic experience with FL Studio but would really like to see the course to use some open source alternative.

1 Like

Well I don’t really know of any free DAW that really does a standup job of the paid ones but… Reaper is extremely powerful and relatively inexpensive for what you get. The only problem I found as I started making music and sounds is the deep black rabbit hole that it is. It can quickly become an expensive endeavor, especially if you are looking for high quality orchestral like music. Still, maybe a course on how to start down a musical road wouldn’t be bad.

1 Like

Wow Michael, I’m following your courses (Blender, Exporting Blender to Unity and Gimp) You are an awesome teacher seriously. I’m a developer with no artist skills (my 8 years son draw a lot better than me). And I really learn a lot about those skills in blender and gimp.

I like the way you explain, very clear and concise, right to the point and your examples are accurate, even as a non-artist person like I learned how to draw and model with proficiency, so I guess, no, I trust it would be an awesome course if you are the teacher.

Cheers from Paraguay.

4 Likes

A music course would be great! I’m currently following the Blender, Blender Character and GIMP courses (along with Ben’s Unreal course). I didn’t know Michael was into music as well!
I’m currently playing around with FL Studio, but can’t really get good sound out of it yet. I really want to learn how to use it and learn some music theory as well.

Question to Michael: What DAW will you be using for the course? (if it’s going to happen of course)
I’m hoping FL Studio, since that’s the one I paid the licence for :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Id be super excited to see this become a reality
I watch a lot of the 8-bit music theory youtube videos that does a great job looking at music theory and how they’re applied to video games.

Id love to try this, and honestly have no idea where to start in terms of software to make chiptunes or other compositions

1 Like

Well, I think the DAW is not so relevant. But I do like Ableton Live and it’s also avaliable to Mac and Windows. Maybe you guys could make a deal with Ableton to make the software Lite for free to students (or with a huge discount) for this course.

I have used FL Studio for some time now and this is one of the courses I will absolutely take if it comes. :slight_smile:

Although specific DAW may not be very relevant as mentioned, I think how to choose right DAW and how them relative to the music work & sound effect work in game development is an important topic.

There are lots of music courses, but most of them is created for musicians and composers, not for game developers such as coders, visual artists and game designers. I wish this course can be created to target to game developers, for their background (lack of music related knowledge & practice) and relevant requirements (making background music, sound effect, how to make them fit with game and etc).

I would LOVE to take a course like this, I’m trying to have basic working skills in every aspect of the game making process (art, music and programming). I’ve searched Udemy, and the courses I found are all too advanced for me. I even bought one that looked okay (no music experience required), but the only way I can follow is to copy everything exactly like the instructor did, and that’s not learning.

Privacy & Terms