Course Idea: Music Making

Awesome idea. I would love to learn this, even if it’s not something I would do all the time. I think it’s important to at least understand as much of the process of each step, if only for communication between all involved.

Also a great idea for the solo indie dev, as I am right now, and I suspect many on this site are.

Looking forward to this becoming a course!

I’m part of Mike’s Blender course, and think he would be a great steward for this course as well.

1 Like

A course about sound and music would be awesome. Especially how to fit them together and make them fit the scene, characters and atmosphere. I can always try to find something in the internet, but fitting and tweaking them to fit the game and make them the games own sound is really hard.

Something I have loved about these courses is that they work with free programs. LMMS is a free alternative to FL Studio that might be worth considering if this course takes flight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FMOD and the Unity plugin

if you 're serious about making music, you’d have to invest quite a lot of money and effort into it! Starting with an acceptable DAW that supports VSTs or AudioUnits (Ableton Live Lite is free I believe) a proper sound card and then adding software instruments (hardware is even more expensive) where good ones also come at a price over to the right speakers and their setup including at least a USB Keyboard Controller etc… It’s not that easy and if you want to make real music (e.g. for background scenery/theme music) it will take years to perfect! This is not to discourage you, just so you know what you will have to deal with =) I absolutely love making music!! It’s a fantastic way to express yourself <3

That is one of the things holding me back, I have struggled to find a bit of cheap/free software worth investing a lot of time in learning and then using. I’m liking the look of https://lmms.io/ at the moment

2 Likes

I actually did this also quite long a few years after djing a lot and gotten quite far, but now some years ago I started with creating 3D content and now even trying to create my first game(s) and this is as intense as making music, so I’m not really doing music anymore (at least for the time I spent on 3D stuff :smiley:)… I mean I work besides learning and have limited time and doing both just is too much for me, hope others who are interested still give it a go. Didn’t hear about lmms yet, looks interesting. I was using Logic Pro, there are also Cubase/Ableton/Studio One (good, i didn’t create game sounds, i actually was producing some sort of techno “music”… Maybe there’s also a difference. Maybe there’s better software for game sounds/music creation. Definitely another very cool hobby!!

If anyone wants to start: look for someone who can teach you, at best in the musical direction you wanna go for, you will spent extremely much less time in getting comfy than only by trial and error, had to learn that the “hard” way :slight_smile:

I’m interested in creating music (and sound effects) for games. As I work on Linux only I would appreciate the course using OSS or at least Linux compatible software. There is a Linux version of LMMS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for music course!

1 Like

I would be down for some more tools towards game making, and Audio is on that list!

I was literally just searching for something about a course on making game music. I’m not even trying to be great, just to be “good enough” to put something together. I don’t know which tools to use or how to approach the topic.

Maybe I’m lame, but I’ve been going through the 2D course and realized part way through that I could start making my own assets since I had already gotten most of the way through the GIMP course. There’s literally no better time to practice than when doing a course like this, and the “move at your own pace” nature of it lets me take my time if I want to spend several days making a new character from scratch.

I am very interested in some kind of game-music class. If you do one, I’ve heard of MIDI music (and used to listen to some of it), but I’d really hope to make something “better” than that quality of music. I wouldn’t be offended to start there, but I’d want to finish with something “professional”.

I hope this counts as some noise.

I may have a unique perspective on this, as my first degree was actually in music. Clearly there is some interest in learning how to make music for games, but you probably have a wide spectrum based on what one’s previous experience is. If you have no prior knowledge of music theory, you could probably learn some of the basics and get something that sounds really cool (to draw from another realm, The Beatles didn’t even know how to read music, and look what they did!). In that case, there are actually some courses already on Udemy that cover these basic elements - melody, harmony, basic instrumentation, and DAW recording.

From there, you probably have some other students who already have some rudimentary experience with music. For example, those that took piano lessons as a kid, or who played an instrument in their school band or orchestra, and who understand the musical elements and probably only need to learn some compositional principles as well as the technical aspects of doing it on the computer. For that reason, you’d probably want to make some of these basic elements a little more modular so that those students who decide, “Yeah, I’ve got this handled” can focus more on the areas they have gaps in.

Moving on from there, you then have students who have a really solid understanding of the fundamentals of music composition and probably need some help some advanced technical problems (i.e., if you want to compose something that uses an intro, such as the final boss themes of Final Fantasy 7-9, how would you set it up in Unity such that the audio would loop back to the end of the intro, rather than back to the beginning?). I suspect students like myself who would come into the course at that level are a very minimal minority, but at the same time, other students might reach that level of interest after completing the more basic modules.

Those are my thoughts. What’s everyone else’s take on this?

I’m pretty firmly in the “rudimentary” crowd. I’d really be down for learning the technical aspects such as how to set up proper music loops that blend well. etc.

1 Like

A music making course would be really great but there are quite a bit of issues with that and some concerns as a consumer or learner. Some of them are:

1. Software - FL Studio / Login Pro X etc. are expensive. 199$ and LPX is only available for Mac.
  2. How good will the content be and that sort of techniques will be learn and for what genre of games? 8-Bit? 16 Bit? Retro music, mixing here and there? I think learning that much is not really that worth spending time over since it will take lots of time and these music types mostly apply to Pixel 2D Side Scrollers or Top down Pixel games. For music composition with good melody we need a keyboard / midi music player at the very least.
  3. If someone is very serious about game dev or making it out as an Indie Dev they will most likely get a music composure to do it for them. For example, Thomas Brush, creator of Pinstripe and COMA.
  4. Existing Free Assets. There are ton’s of freely available assets on Public domain that can be easily used in a game without licensing issues. Some music asset packs on Unity Store are cheap but can be used to make awesome 2D or 3D games.

Many more reasons…

Edit:

If anything I would like a very detailed course on Audacity which is an open source tools and almost as powerful as FL Studio.

Privacy & Terms